+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

add-on public policy

saamaan239

Feb 18, 2018
Anyone added-on a new dependent child to their parent sponsorship application (2017) based on the new public policy?

Bam0130

Star Member
Jul 19, 2017
Anyone added-on a new dependent child to their parent sponsorship application (2017) based on the new public policy?
Hi, yes I added my younger sister to my parents' 2017 PGP application. On March 9, 2018, we received two medical request for my mom and dad so they did it here in Canada (they are here under supervisa). Another request letter from sponsorship office that asks for a proof of my younger sister's medical, since there was no IME form, she did an upfront medical in the Philippines. I sent a copy of the emedical info sheet to prove her medicals were done along with other requested documents. I received a reassessment of sponsorship eligibility on April 9, 2018. However, the medicals in online status is stuck as "under review". I have sent an email to the visa office a month ago but there was no reply. Can you share your experience? Did the added dependent get an IME form to take to the doctor, or did you do an upfront medical as well? Did you get a "pass" status on their medicals right away?

saamaan239

Feb 18, 2018
Hi, yes I added my younger sister to my parents' 2017 PGP application. On March 9, 2018, we received two medical request for my mom and dad so they did it here in Canada (they are here under supervisa). Another request letter from sponsorship office that asks for a proof of my younger sister's medical, since there was no IME form, she did an upfront medical in the Philippines. I sent a copy of the emedical info sheet to prove her medicals were done along with other requested documents. I received a reassessment of sponsorship eligibility on April 9, 2018. However, the medicals in online status is stuck as "under review". I have sent an email to the visa office a month ago but there was no reply. Can you share your experience? Did the added dependent get an IME form to take to the doctor, or did you do an upfront medical as well? Did you get a "pass" status on their medicals right away?
Hi,
They did a mistake on my financial re-assessment, so my update can be a bit off. But, when they asked for new documents for the add-on they also asked for medical and asked us to do the medical and send them the results. My parent's did their medicals last year, but the eCAS is saying their medical results are under review!

Bam0130

Star Member
Jul 19, 2017
Hi,
They did a mistake on my financial re-assessment, so my update can be a bit off. But, when they asked for new documents for the add-on they also asked for medical and asked us to do the medical and send them the results. My parent's did their medicals last year, but the eCAS is saying their medical results are under review!
Did your sibling receive and IME form to take to the doctor or he/she just did an upfront medical as well? I am so worried, it seems they don't have all the medicals they need, maybe because my sister's medical was upfront and not linked directly to the application.

saamaan239

Feb 18, 2018
Did your sibling receive and IME form to take to the doctor or he/she just did an upfront medical as well? I am so worried, it seems they don't have all the medicals they need, maybe because my sister's medical was upfront and not linked directly to the application.
They did not send us a form for medical. They just asked us to do it and send the results to them

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think you can do that, they look at the rules at the time of application submission (i.e. at that time, defendant age limit was 18, not 21). Someone correct me if i am wrong please

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I don't think you can do that, they look at the rules at the time of application submission (i.e. at that time, defendant age limit was 18, not 21). Someone correct me if i am wrong please
Read the gigantic link in the third post.

Reactions: OP_POP

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Read the gigantic link in the third post.
oh wow, completely missed it. Is there still anyway to add my sister to my PGP? My parents just landed last month (in May)!

I applied in Jan 2, 2015. and Her date of birth is June 1993. Can i still add her?

Last edited:

Bam0130

Star Member
Jul 19, 2017
oh wow, completely missed it. Is there still anyway to add my sister to my PGP? My parents just landed last month (in May)!

I applied in Jan 2, 2015. and Her date of birth is June 1993. Can i still add her?
I believe it is too late now, you had until January 31, 2018 to submit a request in adding her if she was still 21 and below at the time of your parents' application. That was only a temporary policy and it closed on January 31,2018.

Bam0130

Star Member
Jul 19, 2017

Eligibility Criteria and Conditions
Based on public policy considerations, delegated officers may grant an exemption from the provisions of the Regulations listed below to foreign nationals who meet the following eligibility criteria and conditions:

A permanent residence application for a child can be made if the:

1. Child was 19, 20, or 21 as of May 3, 2017 (the date of final publication of the regulatory amendment) or as of date the parent’s permanent residence application was made, if received on or after May 3, 2017 and before October 24, 2017;
  2. Parent or child had a permanent residence application that was either pending on May 3, 2017 or was received on or after May 3, 2017 and before October 24, 2017 (the child must have been previously identified as “additional family” on their parent’s application);
  3. Child is not a spouse/common-law partner; and,
  4. Child is not otherwise inadmissible.
The child can be:

1. Processed or added to an application (as a dependent child) if the permanent resident visa or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) had not been issued at the time the Department was notified of the intention to add the child; OR
  2. Sponsored as a member of the Family Class once the parent is granted permanent residence.

Note: Refugees and protected persons may add a child who was 19, 20, or 21 on May 3, 2017 and (not a spouse/common-law partner) as an accompanying or non-accompanying dependant on a pending application; non-accompanying dependants would be able to apply for permanent residence within the one-year window.

An application to sponsor a child who is eligible under this public and is 22 or over at time of sponsorship, must be received by the Department within one year after their parent is granted permanent residence. Children who are under 22 at time of sponsorship will be processed under the regular sponsorship regulations.
Notification Period: Parents who wish to apply for their child to come to Canada must notify the Department of their intention to do so by January 31, 2018, in accordance with instructions provided by the department.

Fees: Where applicable, the standard fees for processing an accompanying or sponsored dependent child must be paid.

Pending applications: For the purposes of this public policy, an application is considered to be pending up until the applicant’s departure for Canada if they are outside Canada OR until permanent residence has been granted if the applicant is in Canada.