+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adapting from 220V to 110V system

chernel

May 9, 2006
Could it be possible for us to use our 220V stereo systems and home theatre systems in Canada. Would it make sense to bring these along with us?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

chernel said:
Could it be possible for us to use our 220V stereo systems and home theatre systems in Canada. Would it make sense to bring these along with us?
You can purchase step down transformers, but remember in stereo equipment with motors (turntable) there is a different in phases, I think it would run slower. You TV is what system? Is it NTSC which the standard in Canada/US, if it is PAL/Secam it won't work unless it dual system. Also you should look into a code free DVD player or you won't be able to play your DVDs if they are out of NA Zone.

PMM

chernel

May 9, 2006
Thanks PMM.

What we might bring is an amplifier and Bose Accoustimas home theater speakers, we won't be bringing TV, DVD and no turn table. So we were wondering if it would be better to sell these before coming.

Do you really mean step down?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

chernel said:
Thanks PMM.

What we might bring is an amplifier and Bose Accoustimas home theater speakers, we won't be bringing TV, DVD and no turn table. So we were wondering if it would be better to sell these before coming.

Sorry, step up transformer. Bring them, or check out the prices on future shop, best buy, some of the other web retailers to get an idea of the prices to see if it is work the effort. Don't forget the cost of the transformer for the amp.

PMM

cjbarker

Feb 27, 2017
Hi,

I'm thinking of bringing European (240V) home theatre system (sub woofer and AV receiver are 240V) do you think I'll need to a step up converter for these? Quite attached to these so would prefer to bring than nuy new ones in Canada.

Thanks

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
chernel said:
Thanks PMM.

Sell them before coming. you can pick up used electronics here relatively inexpensively. The hassles of using voltage converters just isn't worth it.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cjbarker said:
Hi,

I'm thinking of bringing European (240V) home theatre system (sub woofer and AV receiver are 240V) do you think I'll need to a step up converter for these? Quite attached to these so would prefer to bring than nuy new ones in Canada.

Thanks
Check in the user manual or on the producer website, if you need special converter or if it will work with simple plug adapter.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
torontosm said:
Sell them before coming. you can pick up used electronics here relatively inexpensively. The hassles of using voltage converters just isn't worth it.
hahahaha..you know you answered an 11 year old thread? ;D

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
foodie69 said:
hahahaha..you know you answered an 11 year old thread? ;D
Original was maybe old, but the comment to which he was answering was recent.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Look at the back of the plug of your appliance and look at the voltage range. Most electronics manufactures have a range that can be adjusted for use in all countries. I have checked Apple, Bose and GHD and they are suitable without a voltage converter though I will need a pin converter from a UK pin to a Canadian one.