+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adaptability Question

mayang

Jan 11, 2007
Hello.
I just want to ask if declaring a first cousin, as relative in the application will merit additional points or influence the decision, assuming you lack points.

Thanks in advance.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mikeramma said:
You will get 5 additional points if you have relatives/cousins in Canada.
Sorry cousins don't count, From the Regulations:

"(5) For the purposes of paragraph (1)(d), a skilled worker shall be awarded 5 points if

(a) the skilled worker or the skilled worker's accompanying spouse or accompanying common-law partner is related by blood, marriage, common-law partnership or adoption to a person who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Canada and who is

(i) their father or mother,

(ii) the father or mother of their father or mother,

(iii) their child,

(iv) a child of their child,

(v) a child of their father or mother,

(vi) a child of the father or mother of their father or mother, other than their father or mother, or

(vii) a child of the child of their father or mother; or

(b) the skilled worker has a spouse or common-law partner who is not accompanying the skilled worker and is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Canada."

PMM

M

Mackie

Agreed, cousin does not count. I think this excerpt from the Application for PR Skilled Worker Guide (pg. 12) puts it more plainly: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/EG7.pdf

"E. Relatives in Canada
You or your accompanying spouse or common-law partner has a relative (parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, child of a parent, sibling, child of a grand parent, aunt/uncle, or grandchild of a parent, neice or nephew) who lives in Canada and is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. 5 " points