+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Actively studying in new DLI change rule

Alexi01

May 14, 2021
So I asked IRCC on twitter about the "actively studying" fiasco and whether will it count as actively studying if we did it outside Canada they referred me to this link and according to it it doesn't matter if you did it outside or inside just show that you are progressing your studies. I hope it clears something out.

Alexi01

May 14, 2021
More updates

I responded to their email above with this:

30 minutes later, they responded with this (not sure why they claim not to know I was still outside Canada cos I CLEARLY stated that in my initial webform. Also, why would I have emailing my local VO (Pretoria Office) if I was already in Canada :rolleyes: ):

Wow they are more confused then we are.

• Haha
Reactions: wonderbly

Abd301

Apr 3, 2021
This is so confusing smh. So in order to change my DLI before classes start, I will have to reapply for a study permit even if I am present in Canada and have a valid study permit?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
This is so confusing smh. So in order to change my DLI before classes start, I will have to reapply for a study permit even if I am present in Canada and have a valid study permit?
If you are in Canada and studying already - you don't have to re-apply, just transfer your DLI online.

If you are in Canada and haven't started classes yet - grey area :).

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
If you are in Canada and studying already - you don't have to re-apply, just transfer your DLI online.

If you are in Canada and you are not “active” students in DLI then you need to apply SP. The good thing is you already passed eligibility, so less scruitiny unless if significant time has lapsed before applying

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
More updates

30 minutes later, they responded with this (not sure why they claim not to know I was still outside Canada cos I CLEARLY stated that in my initial webform. Also, why would I have emailing my local VO (Pretoria Office) if I was already in Canada :rolleyes: ):

Just to update:

My new SP application (submitted May 24th) is still untouched. Not even medical updated. Meanwhile, my husband's SOWP that we applied for in May also, got approved against my previous SP :confused: .

rceleste

Jun 7, 2018
Wanted to jump on here because wondering about this whole changing DLI stuff...my sister-in-law applied for study permit using masters program at a university for this Fall...just got approved...she also applied to a college to a post-grad program in same field and was accepted there...college program is more affordable, been debating between the two...been wondering if we could make the change to the college program...if she travels now still leaving things as the original DLI, can she then switch the DLI to the college after she lands in Canada...using the online form where you just transfer DLI...has anybody done anything like this since changes? I had a friend who did this in the past, but now im confused about how immigration will react...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Wanted to jump on here because wondering about this whole changing DLI stuff...my sister-in-law applied for study permit using masters program at a university for this Fall...just got approved...she also applied to a college to a post-grad program in same field and was accepted there...college program is more affordable, been debating between the two...been wondering if we could make the change to the college program...if she travels now still leaving things as the original DLI, can she then switch the DLI to the college after she lands in Canada...using the online form where you just transfer DLI...has anybody done anything like this since changes? I had a friend who did this in the past, but now im confused about how immigration will react...
Answer is no. She would need to apply for a new study permit.

Switching more easily was possible in the past which is why your friend was able to do it. IRCC recently changed the rules - most likely because too many people were doing exactly what your sister-in-law wants to do and IRCC views this as an abuse of the process.

Reactions: rogelcorral

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
You posted on other thread and members adviced. Its not about if anyone done anything like that, but its a new regulation. Your sister need a new study permit.

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021

I'm not sure why you're saying it's a grey area if you're in Canada and haven't started studying.

The rules say "actively studying while in Canada" is the in Canada part new?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I'm not sure why you're saying it's a grey area if you're in Canada and haven't started studying.

The rules say "actively studying while in Canada" is the in Canada part new?
Not sure what you are getting at, but yeah it's no longer a grey area as we have learned more about the new policy since May when my comment was made - If you haven't attended your approved DLI at all and you want to switch, you need a new SP.

Reactions: DimT44

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Not sure what you are getting at, but yeah it's no longer a grey area as we have learned more about the new policy since May when my comment was made - If you haven't attended your approved DLI at all and you want to switch, you need a new SP.
Thanks for clarifying! If someone is already in Canada, can they do the new SP application from here?
To be clear they're on SP, already here in Canada, still registered in their program (haven't officially withdrawn), and haven't started studying yet.

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Thanks for clarifying! If someone is already in Canada, can they do the new SP application from here?
To be clear they're on SP, already here in Canada, still registered in their program (haven't officially withdrawn), and haven't started studying yet.
Sorry. I quick search turned out that the answer is yes they can apply while in Canada. I guess my question is what will happen to their old SP while applying for a new one? Do they have to apply for a new one before withdrawing from the program? I'm just concerned about if they will be considered in violation of the study permit at any point during the process, and I want to make sure they don't fall into that. Thanks again!

Keerthana_03

Nov 11, 2021
More updates

You entered Canada without any issues? I'm facing same problem. I submitted DLI transfer request outside Canada and my course is going to start on Jan 2022.