+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Activating Visa from a different country than you applied from

Aug 5, 2019
Hi Guys

I was approved an IEC Visa last January whilst living in Ireland and I am an Irish citizen. I am moving to Amsterdam in September for 7 months with work. I am heading to Toronto to activate my Visa in January 2020 as I do not want to waste the opportunity to live in Canada. However I am a bit worried that they may refuse me as I will be living in a different country than the one on my POE.

Anyone got any guidance on this? I will have all the requirements such as insurance, proof of funds and POE so they shouldn't refuse me but just a small bit worried that they might.

Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
There is no residency requirement for Irish applicants so personally do not see there would be any issue given your permanent residence is Ireland not the Netherlands which for 7 months seems like just an extended business trip.

Not aware anyway there is any process with the IEC program to inform IRCC of any material changes once a POE has been issued such as residential address. if were change of employer under the YP program that might be a different matter.

Even getting a new passport that would all be dealt with at the POE to issue work permit against new passport but doubt CBSA would be interested in an address change and probably would not even be aware of any address you included in the application given that would be outside their remit.

For the travel insurance just ensure repatriation if ever required is to Ireland which is your perm residence.

Last edited: