+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

activate IEC work permit whilst holidaying and returning after a few months

sammiek123

May 16, 2014
Hi guys,

I was hoping I can get some confirmation with my situation. My IEC work permit must be activated by February 2015. I will be going on holidays into the States and Toronto/Vancouver in November-December period from Australia. I was wondering if can I can just activate the work permit whilst I visit Toronto as I am not sure if I will be back by February to activate it on time and did not want to forfeit the program.
I know that I have to show my letter and proof of funds but what about the insurance for the 2 year period? i assume that the guards would think that I will be staying in the country, without knowing that I'll be flying out within a weeks time. Is it okay to just enter with my "holiday insurance" and if asked about the full 2 years insurance, am I able to say that I do not know which province I would be based at being the reason I haven't bought it? I've read that insurance can be bought within Canada and depending on which province you decide to stay in as they have different providers. Is this correct?
Has anybody else entered without having the full 2 years insurance and if so, what was asked and what was your response?
If anyone can give me suggestions or feedback to my situation, that would be greatly appreciated.
I look forward to your replies. :)

Cheers,
Sammie

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
You might be requested to provide the proof of insurance if if you fail to do so- you'd be given a choice to purchase it on the spot. You can apply for IEC travel insurance that is valid across all Canadian provinces- here's the rate comparison:

https://arbetovinsurance.com/iec-travel-insurance/

You can apply for the whole 2 year period - thus avoiding any misunderstanding at the border.

If you have any additional questions you can email us directly at eugene@arbetovinsurance.com for any insurance questions you might have.