Jun 6, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
18-11-2018
Hi guys,

I am due to move in to Canada in next couple of months. I would like to know from fellow ACCA members on how did you find a job in Canada? What skills do you require? Where to being? Following is a brief snapshot of my profile for your reference:

1. ACCA Member and CPA Canada Member since 2016
2. Currently working in a UK based Company as a Finance Manager (Remotely) from my home country and overseeing a team of 23 people

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys,

I am due to move in to Canada in next couple of months. I would like to know from fellow ACCA members on how did you find a job in Canada? What skills do you require? Where to being? Following is a brief snapshot of my profile for your reference:

1. ACCA Member and CPA Canada Member since 2016
2. Currently working in a UK based Company as a Finance Manager (Remotely) from my home country and overseeing a team of 23 people
Do you work for a large well-known UK firm? Is it a multinational firm? Do you happen to have any contacts in Canada?

wajahatid

Star Member
Jun 6, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
18-11-2018
Do you work for a large well-known UK firm? Is it a multinational firm? Do you happen to have any contacts in Canada?
I work in an MNC in UK. It is well known over there in the sphere of health care. We have more than 1100 employees in UK with around 80 million pound worth of properties.

I do not have much contacts in Canada relevant to my field which is the reason for my question.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I work in an MNC in UK. It is well known over there in the sphere of health care. We have more than 1100 employees in UK with around 80 million pound worth of properties.

I do not have much contacts in Canada relevant to my field which is the reason for my question.
Working for a company that is known in Canada is better than not working for a company that is not recognized by potential employers. The fact that it is a healthcare company isn’t as good as accounting firm, consulting firm, etc. If you attended a school that is known internationally that would also be helpful. Yes it will likely be possible to get a job in the field of accounting but likely not in the most competitive jobs. There is a good chance that you will likely have to take a more junior role than your current job and that your first job(s) will not be at the most sought after accounting employers. You are still young once you have proven yourself at your Canadian employer more job opportunities will open ip.

Reactions: wajahatid

wajahatid

Star Member
Jun 6, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
18-11-2018
Working for a company that is known in Canada is better than not working for a company that is not recognized by potential employers. The fact that it is a healthcare company isn’t as good as accounting firm, consulting firm, etc. If you attended a school that is known internationally that would also be helpful. Yes it will likely be possible to get a job in the field of accounting but likely not in the most competitive jobs. There is a good chance that you will likely have to take a more junior role than your current job and that your first job(s) will not be at the most sought after accounting employers. You are still young once you have proven yourself at your Canadian employer more job opportunities will open ip.
I have worked in Big 4, i.e. KPMG Qatar for about 9 months after which i got a job in a private sector at good package.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have worked in Big 4, i.e. KPMG Qatar for about 9 months after which i got a job in a private sector at good package.
If you have recognizable experience in one of the big 4 that is helpful for getting a job in Canada. Would suggest working your contacts in Qatar and seeing if they can put you in touch with someone working at the Canadian offices. If you have an “in“ that will make it easier to get an interview which is one of the biggest obstacles. Just getting selected for an interview when there are usually a lot of candidates is very helpful. Even if you don’t get the job it is good experience and you may then be selected to interview for other jobs.

Reactions: wajahatid