+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Accompanying spouse on study permit

hlb4jam

Mar 20, 2015
Hello I need some feedback. My wife was recently granted a study permit and will be starting school in September. I didn't apply for an open work permit because the rejection rate is very high for my country of origin.

This is the first time we are going to be separated as a family (we have two young children) and I wanted to accompany her to ensure she is settled in well ( we all have visiting visas). The problem is, many of my friends are telling me not to travel together because the officer may deny me and the children entry as this may be perceived as immigration.

At this point I am not sure who or what to believe. I would be grateful for anyone who has experienced the same scenario to tell me the best option or how to overcome the dual intent situation at the border.

Reactions: Oyster

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
Hello I need some feedback. My wife was recently granted a study permit and will be starting school in September. I didn't apply for an open work permit because the rejection rate is very high for my country of origin.

This is the first time we are going to be separated as a family (we have two young children) and I wanted to accompany her to ensure she is settled in well ( we all have visiting visas). The problem is, many of my friends are telling me not to travel together because the officer may deny me and the children entry as this may be perceived as immigration.

At this point I am not sure who or what to believe. I would be grateful for anyone who has experienced the same scenario to tell me the best option or how to overcome the dual intent situation at the border.
What country you from?

In the case of Visa getting granted or refused when family accompanying a student on SP is a 50-50. If you can't prove a sufficient source of funds and home ties, then the VOs will definitely see it as a migration purpose(which is unhealthy for a SP) which might lead to a refusal

Since you all already have a Visiting Visa, and (can) decide to join her after she's gone.. your kids can't study on Visiting Visa so she would have to apply for a TRV on the purpose of Visiting her(there would be need for her to send a Visiting letter as you all already have a valid VV). She will need to send a valid copy of her SP for the application or to grant entry on the POE depending the case

You all can also travel with your VV to join her then once there, she can apply for a TRV for your kids so they can school and also apply for a SOWP so you can work and support the living experiences

Reactions: hlb4jam

hlb4jam

Mar 20, 2015
What country you from?

In the case of Visa getting granted or refused when family accompanying a student on SP is a 50-50. If you can't prove a sufficient source of funds and home ties, then the VOs will definitely see it as a migration purpose(which is unhealthy for a SP) which might lead to a refusal

Since you all already have a Visiting Visa, and (can) decide to join her after she's gone.. your kids can't study on Visiting Visa so she would have to apply for a TRV on the purpose of Visiting her(there would be need for her to send a Visiting letter as you all already have a valid VV). She will need to send a valid copy of her SP for the application or to grant entry on the POE depending the case

You all can also travel with your VV to join her then once there, she can apply for a TRV for your kids so they can school and also apply for a SOWP so you can work and support the living experiences
Thanks for your feedback