+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Accommodation question

Sgh123

Jun 20, 2018
Please help!
I am moving my family to Toronto area next week, I am looking for an extended stay type of accommodation to oblige with the mandatory 14 days isolation, then look for an apartment to be our resident. I looked airbnb, but they are very pricey.
Thank you all I appreciate it

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much!
The prices are too high for me, I will try to filter it more. I just can't imagine payin over $2000 for a month rent, that's outrageous. How do y'all manage?
But there are lots of apartment rent for long term asking $2000 and higher. Read padmapper.com and you will see.

Perhaps, you should consider other cities?

Sgh123

Jun 20, 2018
Winnipeg MB is one of the lowest.
Unfortunately, I have to go to Toronto. I know people there, I don't know anyone in winnipeg.
I can't rent from padmapper yet. I don't have a credit score in Canada yet. I have excellent credit in the US, sadly it's irrelevant to Canada.
I am trying to filter out prices, but it's so hard, what's left is not really good, bad reviews and basement units.
I can't imagine getting stuck in a basement unit mid june to early july for 14 days, there you go covid-19, our life is built around that freaky virus.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Thank you so much!
The prices are too high for me, I will try to filter it more. I just can't imagine payin over $2000 for a month rent, that's outrageous. How do y'all manage?
2000 is the average rent for a 1 bedroom. A lot more for a 2 bedroom. I am not sure how many people there are in your family but if you think this amount is outrageous (which it is but also an inescapable reality), my suggestion is for you to do more research so that you are not shocked when you settle here. You will either need to adjust your budget plan or adjust your lifestyle choices (basement vs apartment/condo) unfortunately.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately, I have to go to Toronto. I know people there, I don't know anyone in winnipeg.
I can't rent from padmapper yet. I don't have a credit score in Canada yet. I have excellent credit in the US, sadly it's irrelevant to Canada.
I am trying to filter out prices, but it's so hard, what's left is not really good, bad reviews and basement units.
I can't imagine getting stuck in a basement unit mid june to early july for 14 days, there you go covid-19, our life is built around that freaky virus.
If you don't want to pay $2K per month then you should expect you'll most likely end up in a basement unit or a unit doesn't have the best reviews. I think you either need to increase your monthly budget or unfortunately lower your expectations. I agree that airbnb is your best bet. Good luck finding a place.

Reactions: Sgh123

Sgh123

Jun 20, 2018
If you don't want to pay $2K per month then you should expect you'll most likely end up in a basement unit or a unit doesn't have the best reviews. I think you either need to increase your monthly budget or unfortunately lower your expectations. I agree that airbnb is your best bet. Good luck finding a place.
Thanks I will.
I have 4 people in my family, 2 adults and 2 children under 10 years old.
It's frustrating, Canada is so expensive!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks I will.
I have 4 people in my family, 2 adults and 2 children under 10 years old.
It's frustrating, Canada is so expensive!
Typically this is the sort of information it's good to research before immigrating. Rental averages are very easy to find online.

Anyway, average Toronto rent for a 1 bedroom is around $2100 and around $2650 for a 2 bedroom. This would generally be for an unfurnished apartment with a 1 year lease. It's generally more expensive for short term (no lease) furnished rentals.

You can reduce your cost by living in a basement, not being picky about how nice the place is and/or by picking a cheaper location (i.e. not Toronto or Vancouver).