+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Accommodation in Toronto

etcetera

Star Member
Nov 14, 2013
Guys,

I'm very stressful and desperately need some advice from you guys. My wife and I will be landing in Toronto in July 2015. My questions are:

1. How to find an affordable accommodation in the City of Toronto while still in our home country? How to make an arrangement since there's no way for us to view a room in person yet we don't have any relatives or friends there?

2. I've heard about fraud reports occasionally. Where and how to look for a trustworthy landlord? Some may suggest a hotel stay but we want to avoid spending bis bucks on that.

3. I've searched "room for rent in Toronto" on kijiji.ca, it seems the they only want a tenant for a long term stay (6-12 months) and employment certificate?
Is there any short term room to rent with a reasonable rate out there?

Your advise is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Go to expedia.ca. There are lots of pictures about how each hotel rooms / suites looks like and what to expect. You can judge whether they are reasonable or not. Once you are in town, you can go out and see for longer term options.

kabayanko

Aug 14, 2014
etcetera said:
Guys,

I'm very stressful and desperately need some advice from you guys. My wife and I will be landing in Toronto in July 2015. My questions are:

1. How to find an affordable accommodation in the City of Toronto while still in our home country? How to make an arrangement since there's no way for us to view a room in person yet we don't have any relatives or friends there?

2. I've heard about fraud reports occasionally. Where and how to look for a trustworthy landlord? Some may suggest a hotel stay but we want to avoid spending bis bucks on that.

3. I've searched "room for rent in Toronto" on kijiji.ca, it seems the they only want a tenant for a long term stay (6-12 months) and employment certificate?

You will be alright. If you can’t get anyone to temporarily accommodate you, I suggest to get the lowest rate hotel nearest to any subway station ($80-$110) or better as your last resort. Assuming you don’t have kids, you can start exploring the area for every resources Toronto has. Buy a TTC monthly pass and use it alternately to explore the area for cheaper transportation. Focus on getting a rental unit as soon as you can to eliminate spending too much in a hotel and establish your residence. Once residence is available, apply for your SIN Card(for tax and work purposes), OHIP(Health Card), open a Bank Account(Credit Card if possible), review and apply for Drivers license (the earlier the better). Start visiting your own community or network with other people. This will help you get more information on how to survive in the city job tips. Once you have established your identity here in Canada and when you acquire your SIN card, start looking for a survival job, anything that will help you pay your bills. At this point you can start planning where you want to direct your family in terms of carreers, profession, place to live or way living and how you can achieve all of this by using the resources around you. Welcome in advance and I hope you enjoy Canada.

NadTab

Oct 13, 2014
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
etcetera said:
Guys,

Hi

If u wanna live in thorncliffe park drive area u can find sub lease accomodation list posted outside iqbal food house

U can call me maybe I do something for u

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Try craiglist under sublet / temporary:

http://toronto.craigslist.ca/search/sub

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was in the same situation a year back. I used airbnb to book an apartment for a month in Downtown Toronto (I picked Downtown to take advantage of the TTC subway, you can choose any location that you think would be good for you). The advantage of this is- airbnb would act as the middlemen to ensure that neither the renter nor the landlord can scam each other. (while the money will be taken from your account at the time of booking, it would be paid to the landlord only a day after you move in). Hence, if the apartment is not the way it was portrayed, you can always complain and get your money back. Also, most of the listings would feature reviews and testimonials from people who stayed there earlier and that would give you an insight.
Hope this helps!

talatquadri

Jul 2, 2014
Hello If you are still looking for a room to rent in Toronto. Please see my post.
you may send your query at talatquadri@rediffmail.com and we could take it further.

Thanks
Talat

Mar 26, 2015
How much would it cost to rent an apartment? Range please anyone. I have two kids aged 4 and 7... I would like to put them in school, so that would be a concern.... :(

EmploymentOppty

May 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadadreams123 said:
How much would it cost to rent an apartment? Range please anyone. I have two kids aged 4 and 7... I would like to put them in school, so that would be a concern.... :(
Check http://www.realtor.ca/ and http://viewit.ca/ The first one lists rental properties such as condos and houses (basements as well), the second - apartments and basements too

anujoshi

Star Member
Apr 18, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadadreams123 said:
Prices range depending on where you want to stay... 2br in suburbs you may get for $800 - $1600 monthly. But prices change everyday.

There are few things you can do to find current listings:

Public listings
You can check free public listing sites like Craigslist or Kijiji for shared accommodations.

Realtor.ca
Check online at realtor.ca as this is a reliable resource for finding apartment listings in Canada.

Go through a Realtor
I am a professional Realtor. My services are free to you. I can send you some listings if you reach out to me at anujoshirealty @ gmail.com.

Best of luck in your search! Please let me know if I can be of any help.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you decide to go with a professional relator, you have to know that your relator will have to deal with the listing agent which is another relator who basically works for the landlord. The listing agent does all the work for landlord such as checking dealing with your agent, checking references and verifying employment. Since you are not yet employed, the listing agent will advise landlord that extra security deposit (additional 1 or 2 months rent) should be held. If you are ok with depositing 3-4 months rent up front then go with relator. The advantage is you can view several properties in a short time. DO NOT sign any contracts with the relator aside from the contract you sign with the landlord. Both relators have a section to sign there as well.

lafrenier

Mar 20, 2015
etcetera said:
Guys,

There is no any sense to look for apartment if you are not in Canada yet. Nobody will agree to sign the lease with you without seeing you.

kwyatt75

Apr 6, 2015
TEXAS
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 24, 2014
Doc's Request.
June 02, 2015 (MR, RPRF, & PCC for Spouse)
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER - March 22, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent w/Application: L-8.5, R-9.0, W-9.0, S-8.5
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
June 02, 2015
Med's Done....
June 19, 2015; TLU (Medical results have been received): July 20, 2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Not Required as I was a US Citizen
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Issued Jan 07, 2016 - Arrived in Mail Jan 21, 2016
LANDED..........
June 19, 2016 - FINALLY - HURRAY!!!!
anujoshi said:
Go through a Realtor
I am a professional Realtor. My services are free to you. I can send you some listings if you reach out to me at .

Best of luck in your search! Please let me know if I can be of any help.
Anu,

I have a question for you. I do not yet have PR but am in the process as you can see by my details. I'm just thinking ahead. What is required of a person to rent a place in Canada? Do you have to have PR yet? Could you rent an apartment for a specified time (less than 6 mos since that is the max stay) being only a visitor? Do you need an SIN? I am just wondering these things as my thoughts are that once I actually get a Confirmation of Permanent Residence it would be easier for me to come as a visitor from the US just to get things set up just prior to officially landing so that when I do officially land I already have accommodations, etc. set up for me and my family.

Thanks for your feedback.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kwyatt75 said:
Anu,

I have a question for you. I do not yet have PR but am in the process as you can see by my details. I'm just thinking ahead. What is required of a person to rent a place in Canada? Do you have to have PR yet? Could you rent an apartment for a specified time (less than 6 mos since that is the max stay) being only a visitor? Do you need an SIN? I am just wondering these things as my thoughts are that once I actually get a Confirmation of Permanent Residence it would be easier for me to come as a visitor from the US just to get things set up just prior to officially landing so that when I do officially land I already have accommodations, etc. set up for me and my family.

Thanks for your feedback.
No, you don't need a PR card, SIN and Copr into order to rent a place in Canada. Yes, you can rent a place for less than 6 months.