+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Accidentally work 16 months on campus internship without coop work permit

oscar79

May 17, 2022
Hi everyone,

I am graduating Spring 2022. Today when I talked with my advisor, we realized that the 16 months period from May 2020 to September 2021, I took an internship on campus with the University without applying for a coop work permit. Now I am applying for a PGWP but I am so stressed and worried that this might affect my application approval.

During my 16 months internship time, I didn't lost my full-time status as a student. Also somehow it slipped the crack with the HR department as they only asked for either my work permit or study permit when I received the offer. During that time, I applied for an extension of my Study Permit as well as Visa renewal and have no problems. Another point is that my internship was not integral to the program, it was basically a "certificate" and not required for my bachelor degree. I was enrolled in a work experience course during that time and that course has no credit.

My advisor suggested that I do not need to explain this to CIC and when there are problems, contact her or the advisor team for help. Anyone has similar experience?

Thank you very much!