+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Accidentally applied for a Visitor record rather than a TRV. Is my work permit invalid now?

stefu8

Mar 16, 2023
Hi! I'm worried I've made a huge mistake. I thought I was applying for a TRV but instead I applied and got approved for Visitor record. The thing is, is my work permit still valid? My work permit allows me to stay until 2025 July but my visitor record says I have to leave by 2023 September. I'm worried I can't stay until 2025 or that my PGWP is cancelled now.

pinkfloyd2288

Jan 20, 2023
Hi! I'm worried I've made a huge mistake. I thought I was applying for a TRV but instead I applied and got approved for Visitor record. The thing is, is my work permit still valid? My work permit allows me to stay until 2025 July but my visitor record says I have to leave by 2023 September. I'm worried I can't stay until 2025 or that my PGWP is cancelled now.
The same thing happened with me! Got a visitor record approved instead of a TRV, such a pain. And I hear its a common mistake. My agent told me that it dosent matter though. I dont think its an issue or the work permit becomes invalid, etc. We can just ignore the Visitor record (you can confirm elsewhere too just to be sure! :) )

Reactions: stefu8
Apr 9, 2023
Hi, same happened with me. I got a visitor record. I am worried now. Please do let me know what your advisor suggested.

Last edited:

Imadbel

May 27, 2023
Hello
Can you pls advise if you had this issue sorted. I an in the same situation and really stressed
Did hou have official confirmation that work permit is still valid or did you need to do a process to re change the status to work pemit
Thank you in advance

stefu8

Mar 16, 2023
You don't need official confirmation that your WP is still valid. I had an appointment with an immigration advisor and they said I now just have two statuses in Canada (Worker AND Visitor)

Dip7373

Jun 19, 2023
Hi stefu8,

I also did the same mistake, I applied for visitor record instead of TRV for my wife. She already has a valid work permit until the August 2024. So what should we do to apply for the TRV and does the work permit is still valid or her status has been changed to visitor?
Thanks in advance.

timhortonsspender

Star Member
Nov 24, 2022
Hi stefu8,

I also did the same mistake, I applied for visitor record instead of TRV for my wife. She already has a valid work permit until the August 2024. So what should we do to apply for the TRV and does the work permit is still valid or her status has been changed to visitor?
Thanks in advance.
What's the timeline of the VR application ? Can you please share ? Also, you are good. She just has two statuses now. Need not worry.

Dip7373

Jun 19, 2023
What's the timeline of the VR application ? Can you please share ? Also, you are good. She just has two statuses now. Need not worry.
Thank you for the prompt response.
We have not yet received the document by mail but in the correspondence letter the expiry date of VR is mentioned until 2028 May (the date of passport expiry). But I don't know if there is 6 months circumstance in the document or not. So for the TRV, should I need to raise the webform indicating this as my mistake with new imm form or need to apply separately again?
I would be very grateful if you tell me what you did in your case.

timhortonsspender

Star Member
Nov 24, 2022
Thank you for the prompt response.
We have not yet received the document by mail but in the correspondence letter the expiry date of VR is mentioned until 2028 May (the date of passport expiry). But I don't know if there is 6 months circumstance in the document or not. So for the TRV, should I need to raise the webform indicating this as my mistake with new imm form or need to apply separately again?
I would be very grateful if you tell me what you did in your case.
Sure. By timeline i mean from the date you applied to the time you got the correspondence letter. Can you please tell me.

As for the TRV, you need to apply again. Fresh application.

Dip7373

Jun 19, 2023
Sure. By timeline i mean from the date you applied to the time you got the correspondence letter. Can you please tell me.

As for the TRV, you need to apply again. Fresh application.
I have study permit and my wife has open work permit. I applied for TRV for both of us on May 27 and got a PPR request for me on June 14 and visitor record approval for my wife on June 17.
One last thing, while making a fresh application for TRV, what should I have to show as her status, open work permit or VR ?? Also, if there is 6 months leave period on the visitor document, can she still stay with open work permit status ??

timhortonsspender

Star Member
Nov 24, 2022
I have study permit and my wife has open work permit. I applied for TRV for both of us on May 27 and got a PPR request for me on June 14 and visitor record approval for my wife on June 17.
One last thing, while making a fresh application for TRV, what should I have to show as her status, open work permit or VR ?? Also, if there is 6 months leave period on the visitor document, can she still stay with open work permit status ??
Open work permit. Yes, that document lets her stay and work to the date mentioned.