+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Accepted for PR - declare common law madatory

ocad3030

Feb 15, 2017
Hello everyone,

I just got accepted for PR, with my marital status indicated as "single".
I have lived with my boyfriend for more than a year now, but we did not declare as common law (he is not applying to PR, and I am not sponsoring him).

Do I need to declare him as a family member (spouse under common law)?
Will it jeopardize my PR visa?

What can happen if I do not declare him?

Thank you in advance.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ocad3030 said:
Hello everyone,

I have lived with my boyfriend for more than a year now, but we did not declare as common law (he is not applying to PR, and I am not sponsoring him).

Thank you in advance.
If you don't declare him now and land as single, he is then barred FOREVER from being sponsored by you under family class. Not to mention you will have committed misrepresentation upon your landing so would put your own PR status in jeopardy.

So declare him. Contact the visa office to return your COPR and add him as common-law spouse to your application. He will need to pass medical and police checks.

The only optional part is if you list him as accompanying or non-accompanying. If he's accompanying you'll both get PR visas together, if non-accompanying you can then sponsor him at a later date (but he still must be added to your app and do medicals and everything now).

Reactions: jddd

miqiaoqiao

Jan 15, 2019
If you don't declare him now and land as single, he is then barred FOREVER from being sponsored by you under family class. Not to mention you will have committed misrepresentation upon your landing so would put your own PR status in jeopardy.

So declare him. Contact the visa office to return your COPR and add him as common-law spouse to your application. He will need to pass medical and police checks.

The only optional part is if you list him as accompanying or non-accompanying. If he's accompanying you'll both get PR visas together, if non-accompanying you can then sponsor him at a later date (but he still must be added to your app and do medicals and everything now).
Hi Rob, I have a similar problem now, my boyfriend applied PR in 2017 and the status now is "decision made". I've lived together with my boyfriend for 16 months until now. We just realize that we are eligible for common law and if my boyfriend declares CIC now about common law and choose non-accompanying will his status change to "in progress" and how long will it take for him to get PR card since his work permit will be expired in June 2019.

Thanks very much for your help in advance!

miqiaoqiao

Jan 15, 2019
Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance.
Hi, I am not sure if you still on forum but may I know if you declare your boyfriend and how long it took to finish your boyfriend's medical and police checks. I have a similar problem, my boyfriend's APP is "decision made" now.

Thanks in advance!