+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Accepted by college February 2019

ryanm32

Jan 21, 2018
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any ideas or is in a similar situation and can help me out.
I have been accepted to come and study the Heavy Mechanical Foundation program in Feb 2019 at Okanagan college, the college is a public DLI
The course is a full-time 38 week, 1140hr program (over 8 months). When i graduate the course i will receive an Okanagan College program certificate, Level 1 Technical Training credit and 450 work-based training hours towards one of the four trades from the Industry Training Authority. I am hoping to receive a PGWP of at least 8 months after the program. My ultimate goal is to find an employer to take me on and apply through BC PNP to gain residency and then complete my apprenticeship once i have gained residency in Canada.
I have been told by my immigration lawyer that this is really my only option for residency in Canada as i don't qualify for the federal EE programs at this stage.
My questions are:
1. Will this course be eligible for the PGWP as it is only a foundation program? i was told by the consulate in Australia that the course would have to be over 900hrs?
2. Because the course is related to becoming a tradesperson in Canada would i have to explain dual intent in a letter of explanation to cic for study permit?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Joshua_Max

sanyinmon

Star Member
Oct 30, 2016
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any ideas or is in a similar situation and can help me out.
I have been accepted to come and study the Heavy Mechanical Foundation program in Feb 2019 at Okanagan college, the college is a public DLI
The course is a full-time 38 week, 1140hr program (over 8 months). When i graduate the course i will receive an Okanagan College program certificate, Level 1 Technical Training credit and 450 work-based training hours towards one of the four trades from the Industry Training Authority. I am hoping to receive a PGWP of at least 8 months after the program. My ultimate goal is to find an employer to take me on and apply through BC PNP to gain residency and then complete my apprenticeship once i have gained residency in Canada.
I have been told by my immigration lawyer that this is really my only option for residency in Canada as i don't qualify for the federal EE programs at this stage.
My questions are:
1. Will this course be eligible for the PGWP as it is only a foundation program? i was told by the consulate in Australia that the course would have to be over 900hrs?
2. Because the course is related to becoming a tradesperson in Canada would i have to explain dual intent in a letter of explanation to cic for study permit?

Thanks in advance.
Hi,
Have you got PGWP upon completion of this program? I am planning to apply for HCA course. Can you share ur experience?
Thanks