+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Acceptable Language Credentials.

Kawartha Man

Mar 27, 2016
I am a landed immigrant and have lived in Canada for almost 18 years and will now apply for citizenship.

I was educated in England and my only language is English, but I see I have to show proof of having a command of the language.

I passed both English Language and Literature at GCE O Level, although I don't have the actual certificates from that time. However, my school did send me photocopies of the records they hold that indicate, my name, D.O.B, the year exams taken, exam level, subjects, grades and school.

My question is, would these be accepted as 'transcripts' for my application?
How do I find out if they would be?

Proof of completion of a secondary or post-secondary program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, includes:

•A diploma or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating the successful completion of a program, in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, or

•A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation from a program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad

Kawartha Man

Mar 27, 2016
Thank you.

I was of the same view, but without any experience of this sort of thing.

Do you have any advice on how I can confirm this with the authorities? I wouldn't want to continue the process, only to find that they deem them unacceptable and trying to find a contact email to at least send them to for verification/acceptability seems a challenge.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
Kawartha Man said:
I am a landed immigrant and have lived in Canada for almost 18 years and will now apply for citizenship.

I was educated in England and my only language is English, but I see I have to show proof of having a command of the language.

I passed both English Language and Literature at GCE O Level, although I don't have the actual certificates from that time. However, my school did send me photocopies of the records they hold that indicate, my name, D.O.B, the year exams taken, exam level, subjects, grades and school.

My question is, would these be accepted as 'transcripts' for my application?
How do I find out if they would be?

Proof of completion of a secondary or post-secondary program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, includes:

•A diploma or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating the successful completion of a program, in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, or

•A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation from a program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad
Look like with your Literature subject during your UK schooling would be accepted as Language proficiency. However, to be doubly sure, you might consider getting them evaluated by accredited education evaluation agency.

Alternatively to avoid all hassles consider taking English Language proficiency test.It would be much easier to pass with your background.

canmozu

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
As your school record document shows detail academic record which is from native English speaking country so you are holding good and acceptable document.