+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Acceptable IDs for Citizenship Certificate?

Leena_m

Aug 4, 2017
I was filling in the form for the Citizenship Certificate and the acceptable IDs for the certificate seem to be driver's license, passport, certificate of Indian Status, Health Insurance ID, senior citizen's card and travel document.

Here's the stupid question (and I'm asking it now because I need to get my certificate and passport within a month in order to travel for a business trip): While I have the OHIP card as my first ID, I'm a bit baffled by passport and travel document mentioned in the checklist. Considering I'm a new citizen, I have a non-Canadian passport and a B1/B2 US visa. I'm assuming I can provide either of these as my second ID for my citizenship certificate application, right? Has anyone faced the same issue?

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
I was filling in the form for the Citizenship Certificate and the acceptable IDs for the certificate seem to be driver's license, passport, certificate of Indian Status, Health Insurance ID, senior citizen's card and travel document.

Here's the stupid question (and I'm asking it now because I need to get my certificate and passport within a month in order to travel for a business trip): While I have the OHIP card as my first ID, I'm a bit baffled by passport and travel document mentioned in the checklist. Considering I'm a new citizen, I have a non-Canadian passport and a B1/B2 US visa. I'm assuming I can provide either of these as my second ID for my citizenship certificate application, right? Has anyone faced the same issue?
You don't have to apply for a citizenship certificate. You get one sent to you after the Oath.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Like @firstax mentioned you do not need to apply for citizenship certificate.
Once you email the Oath form back after your ceremony, they will dispatch the citizenship certificate over to you.
You have already paid for the certificate along with the citizenship application fee.

Now with regards to urgent processing of the certificate it is going to be long shot. IRCC usually does not expedite the certificates unless the matter is urgent (business or personal travel is not considered urgent) and has been requested for before and/or during the Oath ceremony.