+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Accelerated Program, EE application points

Russo194

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
Hi,

I have been searching the forum for a while and could not find concrete information regarding the subject below, under this section in the CRS tool:
4b) Have you earned a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate?
And
4c) Choose the best answer to describe this level of education:
Please advise if “degree, diploma or certificate of 3 years or longer OR master’s, professional or doctoral” selection will be granted of whom graduated:
- 3 years diploma/certificate program accelerated version in to 2 years of study(Education in Canada)
- Or, 4 years bachelors program accelerated version in to 2 years of study(after degree)(Education in Canada)

Russo194

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
How many credits is your program?
Hi Islander,

I would like to apply programs Lambton CPEX(accelerated 3 to 2 years), CBU public health(2 years bachelors after degree) or Ryerson Occupational Safety(2 years bachelors after degree). I can not find information about number of credits to study but I can say that it is 2 years full time with full 4 semester.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
A normal bachelor's degree is worth 90 credits, so for example the first option, you would need to know if that accelerated 3 to 2 years is worth 90 credits or not.

I'm assuming that the CBU and Ryerson programs are postgraduate qualifications or they're top ups which would be equivalent to a 3 year degree, if let's say they are giving you a certain amount of credit based on a previous bachelor's degree. If that's the case, you'll probably meet the 90 credit threshold or even more, it really depends on how they structure it.

You need to know what your final qualification is called and how many credits they are.

Reactions: Russo194

Russo194

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
A normal bachelor's degree is worth 90 credits, so for example the first option, you would need to know if that accelerated 3 to 2 years is worth 90 credits or not.

I'm assuming that the CBU and Ryerson programs are postgraduate qualifications or they're top ups which would be equivalent to a 3 year degree, if let's say they are giving you a certain amount of credit based on a previous bachelor's degree. If that's the case, you'll probably meet the 90 credit threshold or even more, it really depends on how they structure it.

You need to know what your final qualification is called and how many credits they are.
Islander,

What if credits will be give for only 2 years of study period? since one of Universities replied me like same way and they say that for 1 course they will give 1 credits which is ridiculous, as far I know normal 3 hour course equals to 3 credits. Then 2 years of study I will get only approximately 25 credits, which will not help with PGWP and CRS?

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
A full-time course which runs a full semester is usually worth 3 credits at university level.

1 course for 1 credit doesn't sound good, but i suppose it depends on the structure of the program and the coursework involved with each course.

Here is how they calculate the length of the PGWP:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html#determining

They calculate it on the basis of number of hours, but you should ask them clearly what length PGWP you usually get with it before you accept the offer.

In terms of CRS points, if you're studying at an eligible program at a designated learning institution, then you should qualify for the bonus points for Canadian education, if you already have a foreign degree. But if you want to apply with your Canadian qualification as your main qualification, i don't know if they judge that based on hours or credits.

So if for example for the 2 year program, do they assess it on hours or credits to deem it a 2 year program for CRS points? Credits would be more obvious, but hours could be used as the standard. This is beyond my knowledge, maybe someone else who knows more can help you with this.

Last edited:

Russo194

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
A full-time course which runs a full semester is usually worth 3 credits at university level.

1 course for 1 credit doesn't sound good, but i suppose it depends on the structure of the program and the coursework involved with each course.

Here is how they calculate the length of the PGWP:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html#determining

They calculate it on the basis of number of hours, but you should ask them clearly what length PGWP you usually get with it before you accept the offer.

In terms of CRS points, if you're studying at an eligible program at a designated learning institution, then you should qualify for the bonus points for Canadian education, if you already have a foreign degree. But if you want to apply with your Canadian qualification as your main qualification, i don't know if they judge that based on hours or credits.

So if for example for the 2 year program, do they assess it on hours or credits to deem it a 2 year program for CRS points? Credits would be more obvious, but hours could be used as the standard. This is beyond my knowledge, maybe someone else who knows more can help you with this.
Most of institutions evading to reply questions regarding PGWP and advising to conduct Immirgation Consultant.
Could you please share with me source of 90 credit requirement, from this form I read that 60 credits enough for 3 PGWP maybe you mean it is needed for getting CRS 3 year education points, anyway I will very pleased if you share with from trusted site about required hours or credits for 3 year PGWP then leading to 3 years CRS diploma points
In the link you shared from IRCC site I couldnt details about hours and credits requirement which gives more power to visa issuers.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Most of institutions evading to reply questions regarding PGWP and advising to conduct Immirgation Consultant.
Could you please share with me source of 90 credit requirement, from this form I read that 60 credits enough for 3 PGWP maybe you mean it is needed for getting CRS 3 year education points, anyway I will very pleased if you share with from trusted site about required hours or credits for 3 year PGWP then leading to 3 years CRS diploma points
In the link you shared from IRCC site I couldnt details about hours and credits requirement which gives more power to visa issuers.
No, i said 90 credits is what is usually required for a 3 year bachelor's degree in general. But you only need a 2 year qualification to get a 3 year PGWP.

I only go by IRCC's website, that's why i don't have any additional information regarding hours or credits for CRS points. They just stipulate the years of the qualification.

Reactions: Russo194