+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Academic Suspension and PGWP

DuyAnhTran

Oct 22, 2019
Hi everyone.

I’m currently studying Red River College on my 5th term and graduating in December 2019.

My study permit is valid until March 2020

During my study I got academically suspended from August 2017 to December 2017 due to poor GPA.

I worked Part Time < 20 hours during the suspension.

After I came back to college my GPA have gradually improved to the 4’s and now my overall GPA would be around 3.5.

I’m applying for PGWP after my graduation in December 2019 but don’t know how severe my suspension will impact the chance of getting a work permit.

If anyone have any suggestion on what should I do to improve my chance on getting the work permit, I would appreciate your help and advice so much.

Thank you kindly and have a great day!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone.

I’m currently studying Red River College on my 5th term and graduating in December 2019.

During my study I got academically suspended from August 2017 to December 2017 due to poor GPA.

After I came back to college my GPA have gradually improved to the 4’s and now my overall GPA would be around 3.5.

I’m applying for PGWP after my graduation in December 2019 but don’t know how severe my suspension will impact the chance of getting a work permit.

If anyone have any suggestion on what should I do to improve my chance on getting the work permit, I would appreciate your help and advice so much.

You don't qualify for a PGWP and you worked illegally.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for your reply.

If I study another program and apply for pgwp based on that, would I be able to get it then?
Possibly. You need to declare the illegal work in any future applications, which could affect it

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Hi everyone.

Did you fail any courses ?
I don’t think RRC can suspend you for bad GPA.

I might be wrong.

What course did you take ?

DuyAnhTran

Oct 22, 2019
Did you fail any courses ?
I don’t think RRC can suspend you for bad GPA.

I might be wrong.

What course did you take ?

I’m taking Business Technology Management. I did have some F marks in some courses in the first two terms. After that I tried hard to improve the marks in the last 3 terms and thankfully I got more As now than I have Fs previously (don’t know if that will accomplish anything when applying for PGWP though)

RRC do have a minimum GPA requirements for one term and my 2nd term did go below that minimum GPA.

The thing i’m worrying about is that if I submitted application for PGWP and get rejected, will I get another chance to study another program, extending my study permit to stay in Canada and applying for PGWP again based on the new program that I will study.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018

I’m taking Business Technology Management. I did have some F marks in some courses in the first two terms. After that I tried hard to improve the marks in the last 3 terms and thankfully I got more As now than I have Fs previously (don’t know if that will accomplish anything when applying for PGWP though)

RRC do have a minimum GPA requirements for one term and my 2nd term did go below that minimum GPA.

The thing i’m worrying about is that if I submitted application for PGWP and get rejected, will I get another chance to study another program, extending my study permit to stay in Canada and applying for PGWP again based on the new program that I will study.

I see .

So the GPA is calculated total grades from all courses achieved / total credits ?

DuyAnhTran

Oct 22, 2019
I see .

So the GPA is calculated total grades from all courses achieved / total credits ?
Yes. And it was below the minimum GPA, so I was academically suspended for 4 months from August 2017 to December 2017.
Think you missed the fact that she had to take a semester off and still worked part-time.
I talked to the international student advisor and she said just apply to get the PGWP with a letter explaining all of my mistake that I made, both being suspended and worked illegally. If i’m lucky I’ll get a pass on that as my Recent grades can show that I “actively pursue study”.

However I would need a backup plan is that to apply for another program right after I submitted the PGWP application and pay the deposit fee to secure myself a spot, so that if get rejected by CIC I can study for another program and extend my study permit.

However, I don’t know that if I get rejected, how much time would I have left to stay in Canada (would they ask me to leave immediately or let me stay for some short time period) so that I can apply for a study permit extension based on the new program that I apply for.

Iamrut

Apr 14, 2020
Hi am in a similar situation please tell me what happened after you applied for the pgwp did it got approved and if so did you explained to cic about your suspension thanks

DuyAnhTran

Oct 22, 2019
Hi Lamrut. I applied for PGWP on January 2020 and got approved in April for three years. I attached a letter of explaination that explained the suspension was caused by sickness, which I have proof of doctor’s note. Also I apologized for not following the rules and worked during the suspension.

Iamrut

Apr 14, 2020
Hi Lamrut. I applied for PGWP on January 2020 and got approved in April for three years. I attached a letter of explaination that explained the suspension was caused by sickness, which I have proof of doctor’s note. Also I apologized for not following the rules and worked during the suspension.
thanks for your reply so you want me to genuine about my suspension I thought of not telling them since I worked only 3 months as a contract employee in skip the dishes during my suspension.

Iamrut

Apr 14, 2020
You have to be honest and explained everything to the IRCC officer.
Hi thanks for your reply you said earlier you were suspended due to poor GPA and now you are saying because of sickness. I am also in a similar situation but am not sick can you suggest me anything?