+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Absence from Canada / Travelling with (Canadian) spouse

scappa

Star Member
Apr 16, 2012
TO
I've found many resources on the internet but none better than here. That said I still have a question, specifically pertaining to whether or not travelling with a Canadian spouse will mitigate an absence from Canada.

My spouse and I travelled outside of Canada for almost 2 years after we got married. I have lived and worked in Canada since 2005 mostly on work permits but I received my permanent residence in May 2010. While travelling my spouse maintained employment with her Canadian company, albeit as a contractor (self-employed).

So back to the question. I filled out the information on the citizenship calculator but it doesn't have any input for absence. It says that next month on May 10th 2012, that I am eligible. If anyone could answer the question whether accompanying my spouse outside of Canada for almost 2 years counts as living in Canada, that would be awesome.

Many thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - accompanying your Canadian citizen spouse outside of Canada does not count as living in Canada for citizenship. Only for maintaining your PR status.

Only days actually / physically spent living in Canada count towards citizenship residency requirements.

scappa

Star Member
Apr 16, 2012
TO
scylla said:
No - accompanying your Canadian citizen spouse outside of Canada does not count as living in Canada for citizenship. Only for maintaining your PR status.

Only days actually / physically spent living in Canada count towards citizenship residency requirements.
Thank you. I had a hunch that this was the case. I think the mixed information came from finding information on permanent residence, rather than citizenship.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

cmfugen said:
Do self employment will be treated as a canadian job or working for a canadian company?

No.Exclusion

(2) For greater certainty, a Canadian business does not include a business that serves primarily to allow a permanent resident to comply with their residency obligation while residing outside Canada.