+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Absence from Canada during Sponsorship

takitfree

Star Member
Nov 2, 2019
I sent in my application in Dec2019 to Sponsor my wife and step daughter. We received medical requests in June2020.

The application has been delayed because my wife’s ex is refusing to take their child who is in his custody and is a non-accompanying dependent to the medical which is 600 kms away during the pandemic. So it’s dragged on now over a year.

In the mean time I’ve started working across the border in the US. I informed IRCC of my change in circumstances. (I’m a citizen.)

I assume once the medical requests get resolved, IRCC will be looking for evidence I intend to settle in Canada with my family. If I propose to them that I settle my family in Niagara Falls and work in the U.S. during the week and come home on weekends , do you think they’d be satisfied with that? It’s a temporary job and I’m on a non-immigrant visa but it’s good money and I’d like to keep it if possible. But of course the Sponsorship Application is far more important.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I sent in my application in Dec2019 to Sponsor my wife and step daughter. We received medical requests in June2020.

The application has been delayed because my wife’s ex is refusing to take their child who is in his custody and is a non-accompanying dependent to the medical which is 600 kms away during the pandemic. So it’s dragged on now over a year.

In the mean time I’ve started working across the border in the US. I informed IRCC of my change in circumstances. (I’m a citizen.)

I assume once the medical requests get resolved, IRCC will be looking for evidence I intend to settle in Canada with my family. If I propose to them that I settle my family in Niagara Falls and work in the U.S. during the week and come home on weekends , do you think they’d be satisfied with that? It’s a temporary job and I’m on a non-immigrant visa but it’s good money and I’d like to keep it if possible. But of course the Sponsorship Application is far more important.
No that would not be considered settling in Canada since you could move to the US closer to your job as soon as they received PR. If you were commuting daily that would be different and you would likely have a better argument.

takitfree

Star Member
Nov 2, 2019
No that would not be considered settling in Canada since you could move to the US closer to your job as soon as they received PR. If you were commuting daily that would be different and you would likely have a better argument.
Right. Thanks for your take on it.