+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About working experience

t1zxz003

Dec 9, 2019
Hi, everyone,

I am new here. I want to ask some questions. My working experience is like this:
(1). 2011-2018, doing RA and TA in an US school during my PhD. I can get my advisor to sign my working experience reference letter to prove my working experience is related with the job I can apply for. If considered as part time, I will have 3.5 continuous working experience outside of Canada.
(2). 2018-now, I work as a full time in a tech company which is also related with my research field. I can provide offer letter, payslips, Employment verification letter (containing my job title, salary, start date), Job description of my position on company website, tax documents to prove my working experience in this company. I don’t want to contact my manager or HR for a reference letter because that is against the company rule and it will give them an impression that I plan to leave the job (which would affect my career).

So, can I just use my TA/RA experience to get CRS points (3 years out ofexperience), and write my company experience as personal history? I can prove my company experience with all the documents I mentioned above.

please give me some ideas. Thanks everyone

Canadavisa92

Dec 21, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-02-2019
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
17-02-2019
IELTS Request
Upfront (uploaded with application)
Med's Request
Med's Done....
08-04-2019
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
18/07/2019
VISA ISSUED...
27/07/2019
LANDED..........
21/11/2019
Hi, everyone,

I am new here. I want to ask some questions. My working experience is like this:
(1). 2011-2018, doing RA and TA in an US school during my PhD. I can get my advisor to sign my working experience reference letter to prove my working experience is related with the job I can apply for. If considered as part time, I will have 3.5 continuous working experience outside of Canada.
(2). 2018-now, I work as a full time in a tech company which is also related with my research field. I can provide offer letter, payslips, Employment verification letter (containing my job title, salary, start date), Job description of my position on company website, tax documents to prove my working experience in this company. I don’t want to contact my manager or HR for a reference letter because that is against the company rule and it will give them an impression that I plan to leave the job (which would affect my career).

So, can I just use my TA/RA experience to get CRS points (3 years out ofexperience), and write my company experience as personal history? I can prove my company experience with all the documents I mentioned above.

please give me some ideas. Thanks everyone
Yes of course, you could just claim your TA experience if that gives you the enough points to get an ITA and the company that you are currently working in just mention its name in the personal histroy and the date that you have started your job in, thats it no need to submit anything else, no documents whatsoever
Good luck

t1zxz003

Dec 9, 2019
Yes of course, you could just claim your TA experience if that gives you the enough points to get an ITA and the company that you are currently working in just mention its name in the personal histroy and the date that you have started your job in, thats it no need to submit anything else, no documents whatsoever
Good luck
Hi Thanks for the info. I want to know if I have my former colleague (who had resigned and joined another company already) to sign my reference letter for the company working experience, do I still need to use paper with company letterhead? our letterhead or his company's letterhead? He cannot attest my salary but he can attest my position and job duties. I plan to use my bank statement and employment verification letter and offer letter to attest my salary.

I know it may not be necessary but if i do not report this experience, I will have one year gap in my resume and would the Canadian immigration officer found this weird?

t1zxz003

Dec 9, 2019
Hi Guys,

I am new here. I have a question about ITA. I made a mistake in my previous work experience (the name of the company) and I didn't realize until after I got my ITA, can I change this or it will affect my application?

Please all assist.

Thank you
Hi Abii2, I would suggest open a new thread so that more people can see this. Also, I believe that eventually you should consult an immigration lawyer for this because it sounds like an exception that most of us will not be able to answer.

Abii2

Dec 10, 2019
Hi Abii2, I would suggest open a new thread so that more people can see this. Also, I believe that eventually you should consult an immigration lawyer for this because it sounds like an exception that most of us will not be able to answer.
hi Thank you

Canadavisa92

Dec 21, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-02-2019
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
17-02-2019
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Med's Done....
08-04-2019
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
18/07/2019
VISA ISSUED...
27/07/2019
LANDED..........
21/11/2019
Hi Thanks for the info. I want to know if I have my former colleague (who had resigned and joined another company already) to sign my reference letter for the company working experience, do I still need to use paper with company letterhead? our letterhead or his company's letterhead? He cannot attest my salary but he can attest my position and job duties. I plan to use my bank statement and employment verification letter and offer letter to attest my salary.

I know it may not be necessary but if i do not report this experience, I will have one year gap in my resume and would the Canadian immigration officer found this weird?
I would prefer if you find someone who is senior and was your manager not a colleague (a colleague works too but it adds doubt) but if the collegue is the only option then follow the same steps (dont grt thr letterhead of his current company of course, this is wrong as you arent and werent working there) you either get the letterhead of your previous company or resort the notarization option with sending the old business card and the new business card of your senior collegue/manager
With regards to the gap, IRCC doesnt care they just want to make sure you are being transparent about it, and to disclose everything. Unemployment or gaps that are justified are totally 100 percent fine.
Let me understand this, you are reporting a job in the personal history and want to get these docs for it??

t1zxz003

Dec 9, 2019
I would prefer if you find someone who is senior and was your manager not a colleague (a colleague works too but it adds doubt) but if the collegue is the only option then follow the same steps (dont grt thr letterhead of his current company of course, this is wrong as you arent and werent working there) you either get the letterhead of your previous company or resort the notarization option with sending the old business card and the new business card of your senior collegue/manager
With regards to the gap, IRCC doesnt care they just want to make sure you are being transparent about it, and to disclose everything. Unemployment or gaps that are justified are totally 100 percent fine.
Let me understand this, you are reporting a job in the personal history and want to get these docs for it??
Hi, sir,

yes. I’m planning to report this job in personal history. Due to the company policy, I cannot ask any currently active employee to sign this letter. That’s why I am trying to use a colleague who resigned for the letter, together with my job offer letter, my employment verification document (including my title, my salary, and my hiring start date, and of course company name), tax document, payslips, bank statement to prove I did work in the company for 1 year.

sounds like I can simply use my TA and RA job at my university (not in Canada) to fulfill the requirement. If that’s the case I can just skip the company working experience and put it in personal history?

Canadavisa92

Dec 21, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-02-2019
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
17-02-2019
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Med's Done....
08-04-2019
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
18/07/2019
VISA ISSUED...
27/07/2019
LANDED..........
21/11/2019
Hi, sir,

yes. I’m planning to report this job in personal history. Due to the company policy, I cannot ask any currently active employee to sign this letter. That’s why I am trying to use a colleague who resigned for the letter, together with my job offer letter, my employment verification document (including my title, my salary, and my hiring start date, and of course company name), tax document, payslips, bank statement to prove I did work in the company for 1 year.

sounds like I can simply use my TA and RA job at my university (not in Canada) to fulfill the requirement. If that’s the case I can just skip the company working experience and put it in personal history?
Yes of course man, if you will get the needed points by only using your RA job go ahead and just include that company in the personal history
Anything mentioned in the personal.history doesnt have to be proven by any documents of any sorts

t1zxz003

Dec 9, 2019
Yes of course man, if you will get the needed points by only using your RA job go ahead and just include that company in the personal history
Anything mentioned in the personal.history doesnt have to be proven by any documents of any sorts
Thanks man you are really helping a lot.

I want to ask another question though. Since the TA/RA job is part time (20Hrs/week), I have 24 months continuous TA/RA job to satisfy the 1 year working experience.

Then I have a few Discontinuous TA/RA jobs (They are discontinuous only because of some internships in between) at the same university under same employer. These hours add up to 44 months. Also 20 Hours per week.

Can I count my work experience as (24+44)*20/30/12=3.78 years?

Or if we just take each month = 4 weeks, and one year has 53 weeks. Can I count my total work experience as (24+44) months*4 weeks*20/30/53weeks = 3.42 years?

Looks like both are safe for me but I am not sure if I can count part time 20 hours as 20 hours instead of capping it at 15 hours.....

Last edited:

Canadavisa92

Dec 21, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-02-2019
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
17-02-2019
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Med's Done....
08-04-2019
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
18/07/2019
VISA ISSUED...
27/07/2019
LANDED..........
21/11/2019
Thanks man you are really helping a lot.

I want to ask another question though. Since the TA/RA job is part time (20Hrs/week), I have 24 months continuous TA/RA job to satisfy the 1 year working experience.

Then I have a few Discontinuous TA/RA jobs (They are discontinuous only because of some internships in between) at the same university under same employer. These hours add up to 44 months. Also 20 Hours per week.

Can I count my work experience as (24+44)*20/30/12=3.78 years?

Or if we just take each month = 4 weeks, and one year has 53 weeks. Can I count my total work experience as (24+44) months*4 weeks*20/30/53weeks = 3.42 years?

Looks like both are safe for me but I am not sure if I can count part time 20 hours as 20 hours instead of capping it at 15 hours.....
If possible could you write thr breakdown of these periods, because to be honest there has been a controversy on what continuous means and how it is calculated as it all depends on the officers judgment so it is very hard to pin point it but lets try doing it

t1zxz003

Dec 9, 2019
If possible could you write thr breakdown of these periods, because to be honest there has been a controversy on what continuous means and how it is calculated as it all depends on the officers judgment so it is very hard to pin point it but lets try doing it
sure.

They are all 20 hours per week.

2011/9 - 2013/4 (20 months) TA job
2013/9 - 2015/4 (20 months) TA and RA job
2015/5 - 2017/4 (24 months continuous to satisfy EE basic requirement) RA Job
2017/9 - 2017/12 (4 months) RA job

I wonder if I can use them to claim in total 1560*3 hours of NOC 4012 - Post secondary teaching and research assistant.

Canadavisa92

Dec 21, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-02-2019
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
17-02-2019
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Med's Done....
08-04-2019
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
18/07/2019
VISA ISSUED...
27/07/2019
LANDED..........
21/11/2019
sure.

They are all 20 hours per week.

2011/9 - 2013/4 (20 months) TA job
2013/9 - 2015/4 (20 months) TA and RA job
2015/5 - 2017/4 (24 months continuous to satisfy EE basic requirement) RA Job
2017/9 - 2017/12 (4 months) RA job

I wonder if I can use them to claim in total 1560*3 hours of NOC 4012 - Post secondary teaching and research assistant.
I think that is fine, the gaps should be addressed as unemployment and it should be fine (just for the peace of my and your mind ask a senior member like cansha, or canuck uk). As an RA i am guess its all part time, so total 68 months translates to 34 months which is 2.8 years because thr calculation of years is from month to month and working the 1560 hrs per year but then again if you calculate the total number of hours that you have worked it comes out as 3.2 years in IRCCs term of a year. To be honest its very tricky ;)

t1zxz003

Dec 9, 2019
I think that is fine, the gaps should be addressed as unemployment and it should be fine (just for the peace of my and your mind ask a senior member like cansha, or canuck uk). As an RA i am guess its all part time, so total 68 months translates to 34 months which is 2.8 years because thr calculation of years is from month to month and working the 1560 hrs per year but then again if you calculate the total number of hours that you have worked it comes out as 3.2 years in IRCCs term of a year. To be honest its very tricky ;)
well I have a few more months in 2018 as RA/TA too I just did not include them because the new 2018 payroll system in my school did not display working hours. I don’t want to bother with getting more documents to prove this.

from the website I see for part time they allow you to work more or less than 15 hours as long as the total adds up to 1560 to be considered as 1 year experience. Can I somehow ask Cansha or canuck to answer my question?

Last edited:

wdvrdx111

Star Member
Oct 1, 2019
I was in your shoes and I can testify that their system algorithm calculates your total years of working experience based on hours. So it is likely you will be notified to have 3 years in your application process. But I agree with Canadavisa92 -- how officials determine your work eligibility is a block box. I have been fretting over it all the way!