+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About visiting Canada one year after getting visa and other issues

omaradib

Mar 31, 2009
Hi,

My wife and I have got Canadian visa in June, 2008. I got student visa and my wife got two years multiple entry visitor visa to accompany me. I came here in August, 2008. My wife could not come with me because she had her exams.

Now, she is planing to come to Canada in June, 2009. It is one year after getting the visa.

1. Is there any time limit for entering Canada, such as suppose six months or something like that, from the day of getting visa?

2. Does she need to buy a return ticket too? It was not mentioned when got visa.

3. Does she need to purchase health insurance from Bangladesh? It was not mentioned when she got visa.

Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If it doesn't give her any limit to use the visa and it's a multiple entry visa, I would say there be no certain date she has to use it by except within the 2 years it's valid

It's advisable to have a return ticket. If she is on a visit visa, it's normally required. Visa or not, she can be denied entry if the border guards believe she will overstay.

She does not need to purchase health insurance but it's advisable to at least get travel insurance in case she has an accident or sudden illness. Otherwise it can get expensive for you.

omaradib

Mar 31, 2009
Wonderful. thanks a lot.

I was thinking, a temporary resident can obtain a provincial health insurance. Just a guess.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A visitor normally not but if she's staying and accompanying a student spouse, maybe. You have to ask at the health plan office. If she applies for an open work permit as the spouse of a student, I know she would be covered at least in some provinces because I have known people in that situation.

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
dont know about other provinces, but in Alberta you can have a health insurance as a temporary visitor only if you have at least 1 year work permit or student visa valid till at least 9 months from the date of application for the Alberta Health Card.

If you wife is entering on an independent "Visitor" visa, she will not be able to avail Alberta Health Card benefits. But, if her "Visitor" visa was applied with you visa application as a dependent, then you can take Family option of AHC by paying double monthly premium.

I dont think these rules would vary drastically from state to state...

If her visa does not specify a minimum entry date, she should be able to enter without any issue as long as she is carrying photocopies of your passport, visa and entry stamps.

If possible, get her a Port of Entry letter issued from your employer / school mentioning that you are employed/studying with them and your wife wants to enter as a dependent.

Another piece of advice - If you are on work Permit, she can pay $150 to the immigration officer on the spot and get a dependent Work permit issued, in case she wants to work.

Canada allows that!!!

Cheers!!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It does vary quite a bit from province to province. Some provinces do not even cover students under their health plans :(

omaradib

Mar 31, 2009
Thanks aanbaan and Leon.

I guess, Alberta is not charging premium for health insurance this year.

Will my school be willing to mention anything about my wife? ("and your wife wants to enter as a dependent")

And, Edmonton airport does not have work permit issuing facility, right?

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
not sure about Edmonton. My wife had entered via Pearson and the Immigration officer offered her at that time. Unfortunately, she had only $100 in cash and they were not accepting TCs. So, she souln't take the option right away.

It took us 3 months to get the WP later. But, it's worth asking once at Edmonton and have some money handy...

And for your school, you have to ask your school. PoE letter is not mandatory but, good to have... just in case she comes accross a nosey officer (which in my experience is rare in Canada :) )

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AB health will probably cover her. They have just changed is so now you don't go to the AB health office anymore, you register at registries so go to http://www.servicealberta.ca/617.cfm to find out where.

According to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp she can only apply at the border (on entry) if she is visa exempt but she can still try it when she enters. See what they say. If not, she will have to apply from within Canada. Go to Service Canada in Canada Place to ask about the work permit.

omaradib

Mar 31, 2009
Leon and aanbaan, thanks again. Great help!

So, about the letter, whom should the port of entry letter be addressed to, other thatn "to whom it may concern"?

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
"to whom it may concern" should be good...

omaradib

Mar 31, 2009
My school would provide a port of entry letter mentioning that I am a student here and the funding information. However, they won't mention anything about my wife.

omaradib

Mar 31, 2009
So, in our country (Bangladesh), married women do not necessarily take the lastname of their spouse. My wife didn't. (There is not any official way of changing names that I know of back there, either)

Would that be a problem for her at any phase (from airport to port of entry to SIN card/health insurance stuff) in Canada?