+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About to get married to a Bosnian and want to study in Canada

Oct 8, 2013
First of all, what a gr8 forum!!!

So this is my story:
I'm a female, 22 years old, live in Sweden and have been my whole life. I have a partner, 24 years old in Bosnia-Hercegovina. We are talking about getting married but our lives are so different. I've been dreaming about studying in Canada since I was in high school. My partner have finished high school as well. I'm currently studying here in Sweden and he is working in Turkey (lack of work in Bosnia, it's also not the best place to start a relationship/get married/have family) but then Sweden actually is. It's just that we both would rather be together when immigrating (if possible).

Since I'm interested in studying in Canada and I'm a Swedish resident, it's not a huge problem for me as it is for my partner. I could get a VISA, I can see I have all that it takes. I guess if he could find a job in Canada that would help a lot? Or? Then we talked about getting married and doing all this together, but again, not sure how much "ground" this story actually has to get anywhere. Because mainly we're not looking for a temporary move, we'd love to stay in Canada when we talk about out future. I would love to finish studies there and then my partner could either study or work. It's hard to explain why Canada, but it feels like the best choice, great country and fantastic opportunities. Then I believe as a Swedish resident I'm entitled to have a shared passport if I ever go to Canada.

Here in Sweden you can get a 2-year permit and then extend and often given permanent condition, after 5 years in Sweden you will become a Swedish resident and can get a Swedish passport. Is there a similar process in Canada?

So besides wondering all this, I'm interested to know if we actually can do this together or where do I go from here? and then when I finish a degree in Canada studies, how big are the chances for me to stay in Canada and work? Also, how big are my partners chances when recieving a VISA (1-2years) to get a permanent condition?

Thanks for all the help!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
somethingpretty said:
Here in Sweden you can get a 2-year permit and then extend and often given permanent condition, after 5 years in Sweden you will become a Swedish resident and can get a Swedish passport. Is there a similar process in Canada?
Canada has no such rule. To become a permanent resident, you must meet the criteria for one of the immigration programs listed in the following link, apply and be accepted: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp Students typically take the Canadian Experience Class route. This means that they qualify to apply once they have completed their studies in Canada and have completed at least one full year of full time work in a skilled profession. International students are generally granted a work permit after they complete their studies that is equal to the duration of their studies in Canada. Typically you would want to be approved for a work permit of at least 2 years (better 3) to ensure you have time to find a skilled job and complete the full year of work. Spouses can be included in these applications. If you are planning to come to Canada as a student and want your partner to come with you, getting married probably gives you the highest chance of making this happen (although there's no guarantee he will be approved to accompany you). He could also get a job in Canada - however it's generally very difficult to find an employer.

Oct 8, 2013
I understand what you are saying. So the VISA is minimum 2years? Also, do you think getting him here to Sweden, to work or something and get a VISA to work here for two years and then hopefully extend it to permanent, would increase his chance?

Also I forgot to say I have some study loans here in Sweden as well to take care of first. Can you study in Canada at any age? Is there a better chance to get approved if I have completed studies here in Sweden? And then if I ever decide to apply, should I apply for both of us (if then married) or should I only apply for myself and then later try getting him over there? And are the any specifics that would increase my chance of getting approved?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - a visa is not a minimum of 2 years. What I am saying is that you should try to complete at least two years of study in Canada so that you can obtain a two year work permit after you finish your studies because this increases your chances of being able to qualify for PR.

No - getting your boyfriend to come to Sweden would not necessarily increase his chances. It might actually harm them. To be approved he'll need to show he has strong ties to where he's living and has no plans to remain in Canada long term / won't overstay the length of his visa. This will be difficult to do if he's applying from Sweden where he has only temporary status and effectively no ties.

For the rest of your questions, I would recommend that you join the International Students section of this forum, read through the many threads there and then post any remaining questions you have.

lalaBiH

Star Member
Feb 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
police clearence expired had to redo in Sept 2014
File Transfer...
Oct 2013
Med's Request
re-do Sept 23 2014
Med's Done....
07/2013
Interview........
NOPE
Passport Req..
Oct 08 2014
i am from bosnia ( Canadian citizen, now living in Canada)... I am sponsoring my spouse now who will hopefully move here..

Don't want to depress you but i think his chances are slim to none when it comes to coming into canada. I tired to get my husband( who was my boyfriend at the time) to come for a visit.. my parents had written letters agreeing to pay for all his expenses and even his return.. he was still denied a visa based on the fact that they did not beleive he woudl return to Bosna.. ( even tho he had proof of money, job, no family in canada, ties to bosna).. he did not have any " property" to his name so maybe thats why they rejected him, but he was only 23 so im not sure what they expect... anyways my point in explaining all of this is to say that they are VERY strickt about letting people into the country, especially males... unless u marry in bosnia, get him to sweden where he becomes a permanent resident, then together try to get a work permit/ go to school in canada that to me seems like the only way.. ( it may take you 1-2 years if not more) SRETNO!