+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About to apply for PR inland, need one more question answered.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
KvIII said:
It will be a solid year (365 days) On may 30th
You are allowed to be in Canada while applying outland. However, you cannot submit your application even ONE DAY before you legally become common-law. To be very sure you understand this, YOU CAN'T SUBMIT YOUR APP BEFORE MAY 30TH.

You can continue to extend your visitor status. With proof of a PR app and sufficient funds, there is little chance of an extension being refused. Many people in the process of applying for and then waiting for PR stay in Canada for years as a visitor.

From what I know, your best bet is to pay the PR fees now, the full $1040. Then apply online for a visitor extension; include the PR fee receipt, explaining that you will be submitting your PR app once you are common-law, and request a one year extension. Include proof of funds as well; you can use savings or your partner's wage slips or both. You will have Implied Status after May 30th until you receive a decision on the extension app.

Then put together an outland PR app to submit AFTER May 30th. It's a bit different than an inland, some different forms and requirements, but you should be able to do it within a few weeks.

Ponga said:
Since you state, in one of your other posts, that your common-law partner is sponsoring you, leaving for any length of time (even more than a couple of weeks) will negate the time that you've been cohabiting with your partner. You would need to start all over again and live together (again) for 1 full year before you could claim common-law.
To clarify, this is only true when establishing the one year of cohabitation. Once a common-law relationship is established, as long as the couple remains in a relationship, living separately does not negate the previous time together; they are still common-law. One couple lived apart for around three years after they established their common-law status and were approved.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Then you cannot apply prior to May 31st and even then, you should include enough solid evidence like:

Joint lease or rental agreement

Joint bank account

Joint cell plan

Letters from friends and family (2 of which must be notarized), etc.

Do you have all of this?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
To clarify, this is only true when establishing the one year of cohabitation. Once a common-law relationship is established, as long as the couple remains in a relationship, living separately does not negate the previous time together; they are still common-law. One couple lived apart for around three years after they established their common-law status and were approved.
This is only true if the couple is separated for a valid reason, such as employment, right?

KvIII

Apr 14, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-07-2014
Ponga said:
Then you cannot apply prior to May 31st and even then, you should include enough solid evidence like:

Joint lease or rental agreement

Joint bank account

Joint cell plan

Letters from friends and family (2 of which must be notarized), etc.

Do you have all of this?
Yes I have all that already!
No I'm not inadmissible in anyway.
canuck_in_uk said:
You are allowed to be in Canada while applying outland. However, you cannot submit your application even ONE DAY before you legally become common-law. To be very sure you understand this, YOU CAN'T SUBMIT YOUR APP BEFORE MAY 30TH.

You can continue to extend your visitor status. With proof of a PR app and sufficient funds, there is little chance of an extension being refused. Many people in the process of applying for and then waiting for PR stay in Canada for years as a visitor.

From what I know, your best bet is to pay the PR fees now, the full $1040. Then apply online for a visitor extension; include the PR fee receipt, explaining that you will be submitting your PR app once you are common-law, and request a one year extension. Include proof of funds as well; you can use savings or your partner's wage slips or both. You will have Implied Status after May 30th until you receive a decision on the extension app.

Then put together an outland PR app to submit AFTER May 30th. It's a bit different than an inland, some different forms and requirements, but you should be able to do it within a few weeks.

Awesome, thanks for spelling it all out for me I believe this is the answer I was looking for.
SO, just to clarify.
We pay all the PR fees today, get the receipt printed off, but don't send anything.
Apply for an extension of visitor status, and included the receipt from the 1040.

OK, SO I'm looking over the fees for the extension.
I just need the Extension of Authorization to stay in Canada as a visitor $100 correct?
And Should I file my PR packet after I get a reply back for the extension, and still include the OWP correct?
and the fees are the same correct wither I file inland or out correct?

Thanks for all the help, this is really helping my stress level ;D

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
if you decide to apply outland instead, you can not submit an open work permit. outland applicants are not eligible for owp.

i would first make sure you can apply for an extension as a visitor when you are technically in on a TRP. you may need to switch your status to a visitor first.

as the above posters have suggested, you can not send in your application until you have fully been in a common law for 1 year, which you said will be may 30th, so you can't send it before then.

yes, it's the extension for authorization and is $100

KvIII

Apr 14, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-07-2014
rhcohen2014 said:
if you decide to apply outland instead, you can not submit an open work permit. outland applicants are not eligible for owp.

i would first make sure you can apply for an extension as a visitor when you are technically in on a TRP. you may need to switch your status to a visitor first.

as the above posters have suggested, you can not send in your application until you have fully been in a common law for 1 year, which you said will be may 30th, so you can't send it before then.

yes, it's the extension for authorization and is $100
What do you mean by switching my status to visitor?
I was under the impression that temporary residence, and visitor status were the same thing.
"Extension of Authorization to stay in Canada as a visitor (temporary resident)"

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
KvIII said:
What do you mean by switching my status to visitor?
I was under the impression that temporary residence, and visitor status were the same thing.
"Extension of Authorization to stay in Canada as a visitor (temporary resident)"
no, they are completely separate statuses. hopefully canuck can explain better. i'll come back with a thread that has links to both. that's what i'm confused about in your situation. as a us citizen, you would have entered as a visitor, not a temporary resident. how did you come by getting that status? are you sure that's what your status is or are you just assuming because you've been there for so long?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
ok, i'm glad to see Canuck is the one that posted the clarification on the thread below:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/moving-back-to-canada-with-american-spouse-t202900.0.html;msg3130416#msg3130416

now, perhaps canuck will be able to confirm whether this pertains to you, as the above thread discusses a TRV, not a TRP, which i think are also different. i'm sorry to confuse you, i'm confusing myself now... i just want to make sure you are going to apply for the proper extension so you don't lose your status and incurr trouble in the future!

KvIII

Apr 14, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-07-2014
rhcohen2014 said:
ok, i'm glad to see Canuck is the one that posted the clarification on the thread below:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/moving-back-to-canada-with-american-spouse-t202900.0.html;msg3130416#msg3130416

now, perhaps canuck will be able to confirm whether this pertains to you, as the above thread discusses a TRV, not a TRP, which i think are also different. i'm sorry to confuse you, i'm confusing myself now... i just want to make sure you are going to apply for the proper extension so you don't lose your status and incurr trouble in the future!
While filling out for IMM5708E for my extension, in the drop down for STATUS there is no option for temporary resident, so I'm under the impression that Temp resident and visitor are the same thing in my case?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
KvIII said:
While filling out for IMM5708E for my extension, in the drop down for STATUS there is no option for temporary resident, so I'm under the impression that Temp resident and visitor are the same thing in my case?
that's what i'm hoping canuck will be able to tell you. when you entered, was your passport stamped? was a paper stapled inside? where did you get the idea you have temporary resident status? have you already applied for an extension somewhere along the line and get some paper approval? i think that would help clarify.

KvIII

Apr 14, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-07-2014
rhcohen2014 said:
that's what i'm hoping canuck will be able to tell you. when you entered, was your passport stamped? was a paper stapled inside? where did you get the idea you have temporary resident status? have you already applied for an extension somewhere along the line and get some paper approval? i think that would help clarify.
No my passport was not stamped at the border, and no paper was put into my passport.
Since I had no stamp, I had 6 months as a visitor. So at the 5 month mark I filled out and send this exact form I believe to extend my stay in canada.
It was approved, and the paper I have in my jacket says Visitor Record at the top and has a UCI number on it.
So maybe I am confused and im not a temporary resident ::)
Will this affect my extension I am going to file today in anyway?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
KvIII said:
No my passport was not stamped at the border, and no paper was put into my passport.
Since I had no stamp, I had 6 months as a visitor. So at the 5 month mark I filled out and send this exact form I believe to extend my stay in canada.
It was approved, and the paper I have in my jacket says Visitor Record at the top and has a UCI number on it.
So maybe I am confused and im not a temporary resident ::)
Will this affect my extension I am going to file today in anyway?
AHA! you are a VISITOR not Temporary Resident. I thought it was odd that you were from the US and have temp resident status. Mystery solved... apply to extend as a visitor! in the application tell them you intend to send your application after may 30th, and ask for 1 year extension. there's no guarantee how long you will be approved for. you will have implied status until you get the decision. i'm not sure how it works applying for an extension so close to the end of your status though.

encantado

Star Member
May 2, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rhcohen2014 said:
no, they are completely separate statuses. hopefully canuck can explain better. i'll come back with a thread that has links to both. that's what i'm confused about in your situation. as a us citizen, you would have entered as a visitor, not a temporary resident. how did you come by getting that status? are you sure that's what your status is or are you just assuming because you've been there for so long?
visitor visa is called TRV - that is Temporary Resident Visa. It's the same - a visitor and a temporary resident. If u don't need visa you r also have a status of visitor or temporary resident.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
rhcohen2014 said:
AHA! you are a VISITOR not Temporary Resident. I thought it was odd that you were from the US and have temp resident status. Mystery solved... apply to extend as a visitor! you will have implied status until you get the decision. i'm not sure how it works applying for an extension so close to the end of your status though.
All visitors, whether visa-exempt or not, are actually temporary residents, as are all workers and students.

The confusion seems to have come from you guys jumping from "temporary resident" to TRV/TRP.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
encantado said:
visitor visa is called TRV - that is Temporary Resident Visa. It's the same - a visitor and a temporary resident.
no it's not... please see the thread where Canuck explains the difference. us citizens do not require visas to enter. they are visitors, and it's completely different than a TRV. while a visitor is a temporary resident (as canuck clarifies above), that does NOT mean a TRV is the same as visitor status!