+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About summer semester.

qlwkej1

Sep 23, 2013
Hi there, I heard that regulations of study permit will change after June 01.
I am studying my major in the college operated by the government (i.e. Non-private college), and I want to stop my study for just this summer semester since I want to back to my country during this summer semester. (By the way, last semester was my first semester in Canada)

My concern is that according to the new regulation,
"if you hold a study permit, you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your program; and
failing to do so could lead to your removal from Canada."
I don't understand exactly about this because the terms of my college consist of 3 terms (September-December, January-April, May-August), and if I take classes over the 3 terms, I cannot get any break between terms.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

qlwkej1 said:
Hi there, I heard that regulations of study permit will change after June 01.
I am studying my major in the college operated by the government (i.e. Non-private college), and I want to stop my study for just this summer semester since I want to back to my country during this summer semester. (By the way, last semester was my first semester in Canada)

My concern is that according to the new regulation,
"if you hold a study permit, you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your program; and
failing to do so could lead to your removal from Canada."
I don't understand exactly about this because the terms of my college consist of 3 terms (September-December, January-April, May-August), and if I take classes over the 3 terms, I cannot get any break between terms.

As long as you take 2 terms per year, you are fine.

qlwkej1

Sep 23, 2013
PMM said:
Hi

As long as you take 2 terms per year, you are fine.
Thanks PMM.
So, you mean, if I take more than 2 terms in this year, don't I have any problem on my visa?
I'm curious about this because CIC states educational institutions will report student's enrollment status to CIC and that means, if I don't take any summer semester class, I think it may occur some problem on my visa.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

qlwkej1 said:
Thanks PMM.
So, you mean, if I take more than 2 terms in this year, don't I have any problem on my visa?
I'm curious about this because CIC states educational institutions will report student's enrollment status to CIC and that means, if I don't take any summer semester class, I think it may occur some problem on my visa.
You worry too much.

orange_girl

Star Member
Jul 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2014
Nomination.....
PER 18-10-2014
Med's Request
12-12-2014
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
13-01-2015
LANDED..........
27-01-2015
Some programs that start in winter semester have no official break in summer. If your program doesn't have multiple intakes throughout the year, you may have a problem finding your 2nd semester courses in the fall. Make sure with the Registrar's office that your 2nd semester courses are available in the fall semester and that you will continue to be considered a full-time on-campus student. If your status is Returning Student for this summer semester, you might want to arrange a deferral with your college to avoid misunderstanding and possibly the option of them reporting you to CIC. Also the International center at your college should be aware by now about the upcoming changes for international students. You may want to drop by their office to ask those questions.