+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

about physical presence starting date

logoaka

Star Member
Jun 9, 2016
Hello, seniors. I know this questions have been asked before. But I have searched online for a long time, and still didn't get a definitive answer, so I am trying to post the question here. (1)So my understanding is that, under the new law (4 years in last 6 years for citizenship), the physical presence day only starts counting after the "landing date", not the date receiving "PR card", right?

(2) And also if the sin number(used to have a foreign worker sin number 9-XXXX-XXXX) is not updated for a while (6 months) after landing, does it have any adverse effect on calculating the physical presence days (maybe the citizenship judge will look at the CRA file and see the sin number not updated for a long time)?

(3)And is there a way to confirm with the CIC and double check on the landing day and make sure that they don't make mistake on it so that it doesn't affect future citizenship application? I heard if there is any mistake, it will be hard to correct and will take a very long time.

Can any seniors please shed some light on the (1) (2) (3) three questions above. Thank you.

PVN

Star Member
Sep 22, 2016
logoaka said:
Hello, seniors. I know this questions have been asked before. But I have searched online for a long time, and still didn't get a definitive answer, so I am trying to post the question here. (1)So my understanding is that, under the new law (4 years in last 6 years for citizenship), the physical presence day only starts counting after the "landing date", not the date receiving "PR card", right?

(2) And also if the sin number(used to have a foreign worker sin number 9-XXXX-XXXX) is not updated for a while (6 months) after landing, does it have any adverse effect on calculating the physical presence days (maybe the citizenship judge will look at the CRA file and see the sin number not updated for a long time)?

(3)And is there a way to confirm with the CIC and double check on the landing day and make sure that they don't make mistake on it so that it doesn't affect future citizenship application? I heard if there is any mistake, it will be hard to correct and will take a very long time.

Can any seniors please shed some light on the (1) (2) (3) three questions above. Thank you.
1. The physical presence calculation starts on the day you land in Canada
2. I guess it doesn't have an impact on physical presence requirement. But you can double check with CIC
3. You can check your COPR and passport for your landing date

Hope this helps!