+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About Permanent resident travel document

Aug 25, 2017
  • I have recently got approved for PR. I handed over my documents and passport to a VAC in my city, and received back my passport (with an immigrant visa in it) and a confirmation of permanent residence document (which also says cannot be used for travel). I also received 6 pages of instructions about what to do while arriving to Canada.

• However, on CIC website, it talks about a "permanent residence travel document". I have not received a document called this? Can anyone help me with this? Do I need this document, or is my Visa on the passport enough for me to enter Canada?

• Also, it says one time entry on my Visa. Will I be able to freely go in and out of the country as many times as I want after I receive my PR card?

• Visa expiry date on my passport is 2018 May, is it possible for me to enter Canada before 2018 May, stay for a couple of months until I get my PR card, and leave the country, and come back 2 years later? Does this kind of behaviour violate any rules?

• Also, I would like to delay my settlement to Canada as much as possible (possibly 3 years, since I have to be in Canada 2 out of 5 years). What is the best way to do this with least amount of effort (including least intercontinental travel too)? I think I must visit Canada before my visa expiry date, otherwise I will lose my PR rights. Can anyone suggest a way?

Thank you everyone who takes time to answer these questions to help me!!

Last edited:

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
A PRTD is only needed by people who are already PRs who wish to travel to Canada without a PR card. You do not need, and cannot currently get, a PRTD.

Once you are a PR, you will have a right of entry to Canada, and can come and go at will.

If you want to be a PR then you must land before the expiry date of your Confirmation of Permanent Residency and visa. Once you have done that, you must be in Canada for two years out of every five. If you only plan on spending the minimum time here, it does beg the question why you went through the effort of the process in the first place.

Aug 25, 2017
A PRTD is only needed by people who are already PRs who wish to travel to Canada without a PR card. You do not need, and cannot currently get, a PRTD.

Once you are a PR, you will have a right of entry to Canada, and can come and go at will.

If you want to be a PR then you must land before the expiry date of your Confirmation of Permanent Residency and visa. Once you have done that, you must be in Canada for two years out of every five. If you only plan on spending the minimum time here, it does beg the question why you went through the effort of the process in the first place.
Thank you so much for your reply,

From your answer, I gather that I'm currently not in the position of "Permanent Resident". I will only be permanent resident when I land in Canada and get my PR card. I also deduced that 2 out of 5 year rule will only begin when I land in Canada the first time. Are these correct?

About the effort, I was miserable due to my employer at the time of my application, but I'm very happy now with my new employer. Therefore, I would like to wait and see the opportunities ahead without rushing into anything, both in Canada and Turkey. Which means, I'm not always going to spend the minimum time, but I just want to delay my arrival to a point where I really want to arrive.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
No easy way to meet the residency obligation other than be in Canada for 2 out of 5 years, most importantly in the first 5 after landing.

Only other alternatives are marry a Canadian citizen and accompany them out of the country or get a Canadian job and get a temporary foreign assignment out of the country. Neither really practical options.

After initial landing you could stay away just short of 3 years but then you would need to stay the following 2 years without leaving at all. Plus do not confuse the expiry date of a PR card with initial residency obligation, that starts for 5 years from the date you land not from the date the PR card is issued

For sure you should press ahead with your landing, get your PR card and even apply for a SIN as a lot can happen in 2-3 years and nobody I am sure said immigration would be easy as everyone on this forum would agree.

Last edited:

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
From your answer, I gather that I'm currently not in the position of "Permanent Resident". I will only be permanent resident when I land in Canada and get my PR card. I also deduced that 2 out of 5 year rule will only begin when I land in Canada the first time. Are these correct?
Those are both correct. Once you land, your PR card will take about two months to be produced and sent to you (only to an address in Canada). If you leave before then, you will need a PRTD to return (or a friend/family member to receive your PR card and sent it on to you).

Aug 25, 2017
Those are both correct. Once you land, your PR card will take about two months to be produced and sent to you (only to an address in Canada). If you leave before then, you will need a PRTD to return (or a friend/family member to receive your PR card and sent it on to you).
Thank you again for the answer,

In case I cannot get a job by the time I have to arrive in Canada, I'm planning to go to Canada just to get my PR card and go back to my home country and keep looking for a job online. For this address that I need to give to authorities regarding the PR card, could it be a hotel, a house rented from airbnb, just a friend's house? Or should it be a place where my name is on the lease?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thank you again for the answer,

In case I cannot get a job by the time I have to arrive in Canada, I'm planning to go to Canada just to get my PR card and go back to my home country and keep looking for a job online. For this address that I need to give to authorities regarding the PR card, could it be a hotel, a house rented from airbnb, just a friend's house? Or should it be a place where my name is on the lease?
Well a hotel would not work nor a house rented on airbnb apart from anything seems like an expensive option leaving the airbnb empty whilst out of the country .So the safest option is a friends address given the friend can then mail/ courier the card to you.

Aug 25, 2017
Well a hotel would not work nor a house rented on airbnb apart from anything seems like an expensive option leaving the airbnb empty whilst out of the country .So the safest option is a friends address given the friend can then mail/ courier the card to you.
Sorry to revive the thread. However, I will land in Toronto in 2 weeks and was wondering if I could get the PR card to be sent to an address in Vancouver, or should the address be in Toronto?

Also, am I going to be questioned about whom this address belong to? I am asking this, because I am wondering how acceptable what I will be doing by the officers.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Sorry to revive the thread. However, I will land in Toronto in 2 weeks and was wondering if I could get the PR card to be sent to an address in Vancouver, or should the address be in Toronto?

Also, am I going to be questioned about whom this address belong to? I am asking this, because I am wondering how acceptable what I will be doing by the officers.
1. As long as the address is not in Quebec, you should be fine. It is possible though, if you are doing a "short landing" the CBSA officer may tell you to provide an address when you return permanently.

Aug 25, 2017
Hi

1. As long as the address is not in Quebec, you should be fine. It is possible though, if you are doing a "short landing" the CBSA officer may tell you to provide an address when you return permanently.
Thanks for the info !! Much appreciated.

I don't want to miss anything, below are the things I will do when landing in Toronto. Please correct me if there is anything missing/wrong?

1. I will carry all the documents with (incl. confirmation of permanent residence, all the documents I presented while applying (e.g. employment records, financial records, etc.))
2. I will apply for a SIN when I land
3. Since it has been more than 180 days since I received COPR, I will give the officer the address I would like my PR card to be sent. (Or is there anything else to it? Should I do something online? I think there is 50$ fee involved, how do I pay for it? This part is important, could you please enlighten me about how to proceed with this?