+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About LMIA and short-term visa

koba

Jul 19, 2021
Hello everyone.

My situation is as follows: I received a job offer from a research institute in Quebec. The job title is Research Associate and it is not exempt from LMIA and CAQ (I sent a visa and work permit application thinking that I do not need those documents but my application is refused). Right now my employer is about to start the procedure to get those documents ready. However, it looks like we need at least a couple of more months until I get the necessary authorization to work in Canada.

Meanwhile, I saw that there is a short-term visa (120 days) for researchers which is exempt from a work permit and subject to two-week processing.

My question is, to be able to start my job earlier, is it possible for me to apply for this short-term visa and start working as soon as possible, and then start the procedures for LMIA and CAQ while I am in Canada to receive a long-term work permit? If so, should we change the job offer accordingly? The offer is a one-year offer now, should we change it to 4 months?

Thank you very much!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone.

My situation is as follows: I received a job offer from a research institute in Quebec. The job title is Research Associate and it is not exempt from LMIA and CAQ (I sent a visa and work permit application thinking that I do not need those documents but my application is refused). Right now my employer is about to start the procedure to get those documents ready. However, it looks like we need at least a couple of more months until I get the necessary authorization to work in Canada.

Meanwhile, I saw that there is a short-term visa (120 days) for researchers which is exempt from a work permit and subject to two-week processing.

My question is, to be able to start my job earlier, is it possible for me to apply for this short-term visa and start working as soon as possible, and then start the procedures for LMIA and CAQ while I am in Canada to receive a long-term work permit? If so, should we change the job offer accordingly? The offer is a one-year offer now, should we change it to 4 months?

Thank you very much!
If the job requires a CAQ and LMIA, then these documents are required regardless of whether you are coming to work for a few months or a few years. There's unfortunately no short term visa available.