+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About Income Taxes in Alberta and GST

Pullox

Star Member
Aug 12, 2010
Hi people,

I need your help, I have a PGWP and I'm trying to understand how income taxes and GST work in Canada. For example in my first check I made about $650 in 40 hrs work. They are taking for taxes about $150, now this really confuses me because I thought that income tax for my case was 15%. Does someone knows how this works? Can I claim a refund? I was checking the Canada Revenue web site but I'm really new to all this so it is easy for me to get somehow confused about the subject.

Also my neighbour was telling me that I can claim GST but she couldn't explain me very well how it works. Once again I checked the web site but I'm finding information only about businesses.

I appretiate your time and help

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
At the end of the year when you file your taxes, if you deserve a refund you will get it all at once.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can ask your employer to explain it to you better but if you go to http://www.finance.alberta.ca/calc-script/pit-assumptions.htm you will see the values used for tax calculations in 2009 and you can figure out for yourself if the numbers are wrong and which numbers. You should be paying federal tax, CPP and EI and you may be a part of a company benefits plan which they can also deduct for.

When you file your taxes at the beginning of next year, you can put a check mark in a field where it asks you if you want GST credit. See more info on that at http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/rc4210/rc4210-e.html#P76_3738 You will then get money from them every 3 months. The amount depends on your wages. You might be getting around $80 every 3 months if you are single and don't have kids.

If you have overpaid federal tax due to mistakes made by your employer, you will get that money back a couple of weeks after you file your taxes. You can also claim some other expenses on your taxes, for example tuition fees, cost of bus passes, medical expenses if they go over a certain amount etc.

Pullox

Star Member
Aug 12, 2010
Thank you so much to Leon and Alabam, I really appretiate your time and help! :D you certanly illuminated my path