+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

about IELTS

Anatoly

Mar 15, 2007
Good day!
I've heard in Moskov ended registration for IELTS since 2008. Who knows, what it means?

rl65464

Feb 18, 2016
I am planning to appear for IELTS any time soon. I have some queries regarding this, please provide inputs as per your experience on the same:

1. Which one is easier - British Council or IDP?
2. I am an Indian but currently in Canada. What's preferable in terms of getting at 6 score in each section - appearing from India or Canada? I heard its pretty cheaper in India.
3. I believe for listening section in IELTS from Canada, there is one speaker in the room which is common for all candidates. Is that still the case or headphones are provided? Any issues with a common speaker or is it manageable.
4. Any pointers, material, recommendation in terms of preparation? In terms of, which section is most challenging, how much time should be devoted in overall preparation etc.

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rl65464 said:
I am planning to appear for IELTS any time soon. I have some queries regarding this, please provide inputs as per your experience on the same:

2. I am an Indian but currently in Canada. What's preferable in terms of getting at 6 score in each section - appearing from India or Canada? I heard its pretty cheaper in India.
3. I believe for listening section in IELTS from Canada, there is one speaker in the room which is common for all candidates. Is that still the case or headphones are provided? Any issues with a common speaker or is it manageable.
4. Any pointers, material, recommendation in terms of preparation? In terms of, which section is most challenging, how much time should be devoted in overall preparation etc.
1. Depends on the person taking test.
2. Price will be the same.
3. Yes, external speakers in room. If you are a person who uses headphones or earphones a lot start avoiding that and practice listening to speakers.

rl65464

Feb 18, 2016
jairichi said:
1. Depends on the person taking test.
2. Price will be the same.
3. Yes, external speakers in room. If you are a person who uses headphones or earphones a lot start avoiding that and practice listening to speakers.
Ok. Could you suggest which one, as per you, an easier one - British council or IDP?
and any challenges with listening section when its with speakers?

gurik

Champion Member
Apr 29, 2016
Category........
Other
rl65464 said:

1) Definitely British Council, everyone will tell you they are the same but, me and my friend took ielts from british council and IDP respectively, we had same english skills I got overall 8 and she 6.5. Then we discussed and she found out that my paper was far more easier then hers and even the marking was lenient. she also pointed out that British council paper was far easier then the sample papers. She gave again her paper from British council and got 8 bands.

2) Its both the same no difference whatsoever.

3)I do not know about that if this rule applies to all canadian test centres, ut all I know is that in India British Council gives you personal wireless headphones and IDP gives you headphones with wires. I have no experience with a speaker so I'm afraid can't help you there.

4) You will definitely get a preparation book once you register for the test from IDP/British council, it provides you with the best guide on IELTS. For additional help you can buy Cambridge IELTS by official cambridge press, its more detailed and vast. Apart from that try to speak as much english you can, read as much as you can, newspapers and magazines , if possible a novel. This will help you improve your vocabulary and let you get accustomed to how to use certain words in what context and what grammatical form. There are some online sites also which have very helpful tips.
if you are a decent speaker of the language then 1-2 month's will be sufficient to get a good score.
The most challenging are writing and speaking and key to good score there is practice and practice. Speak and write as much. converse with someone who will also correct you if you are wrong somewhere. time management is most needed in writing so take care of that.

hope this helped.

rl65464

Feb 18, 2016
gurik said:
1) Definitely British Council, everyone will tell you they are the same but, me and my friend took ielts from british council and IDP respectively, we had same english skills I got overall 8 and she 6.5. Then we discussed and she found out that my paper was far more easier then hers and even the marking was lenient. she also pointed out that British council paper was far easier then the sample papers. She gave again her paper from British council and got 8 bands.

2) Its both the same no difference whatsoever.

3)I do not know about that if this rule applies to all canadian test centres, ut all I know is that in India British Council gives you personal wireless headphones and IDP gives you headphones with wires. I have no experience with a speaker so I'm afraid can't help you there.

4) You will definitely get a preparation book once you register for the test from IDP/British council, it provides you with the best guide on IELTS. For additional help you can buy Cambridge IELTS by official cambridge press, its more detailed and vast. Apart from that try to speak as much english you can, read as much as you can, newspapers and magazines , if possible a novel. This will help you improve your vocabulary and let you get accustomed to how to use certain words in what context and what grammatical form. There are some online sites also which have very helpful tips.
if you are a decent speaker of the language then 1-2 month's will be sufficient to get a good score.
The most challenging are writing and speaking and key to good score there is practice and practice. Speak and write as much. converse with someone who will also correct you if you are wrong somewhere. time management is most needed in writing so take care of that.

hope this helped.
Thanks Gurik. From where and when did you appear for the test?

gurik

Champion Member
Apr 29, 2016
Category........
Other
rl65464 said:
Thanks Gurik. From where and when did you appear for the test?
I gave my test in India, Chandigarh. On 5th March. Good luck to you for yours!!