+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About foreign drivers license

embo

Apr 11, 2016
So my son got his license suspended while he was driving my car, cop sees he is 23 and drives a nice car, stops him,gives him bunch of tickets and makes his points 12 and suspends it for 3 months. ( The topic is not if my son has a fault or not , he is already punished.so pls )
For now, even though we appealed, it is suspended.
We are in Quebec.

I will be going on a business meeting that i cannot pass and somebody has to drive my daughter to her basketball practice next week because it is not accessible by public transportation.

I was wondering, if my son uses his Foreign drivers license(we are from europe) and if he gets stopped and shows his european identification. What happens? Are they able to find his driving record in Canada from his foreign drivers license?

He came back from US 2 days ago. And we are PR.

PS: I am just asking to know, i am not saying i will allow him. I just want to keep it as a last option. I will probably hire a cab/uber for my daughter.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
embo said:
And we are PR.
Off topic: Are you citizen or PR?

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/a-passport-question-t429363.0.html;msg5245291#msg5245291

In Quebec, people can keep 2 or more driver license?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Unfortunately answer seems obvious your son has been suspended from driving in Quebec so your proposal would be suggesting that your son compounds this by continuing to drive and that is the key word here 'drive'.
Having an alternative driving licence does not absolve him from the suspension and if stopped and if found out he is a PR and his Canadian licence is suspended you are putting your son potentially in even more trouble.

As to whether the Quebec licence is linked in anyway to the foreign licence I guess that may depend on whether was a licence exchange program but kept the foreign one or obtained the Quebec licence from scratch, others will need to comment on that. But if stopped what would he say about status in Canada, visitor or PR then if latter why does not have a local licence and so the problems start.

Ultimately your decision but if were my son for the sake of just basketball practice I know what I would not do.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
embo said:
So my son got his license suspended while he was driving my car, cop sees he is 23 and drives a nice car, stops him,gives him bunch of tickets and makes his points 12 and suspends it for 3 months. ( The topic is not if my son has a fault or not , he is already punished.so pls )
For now, even though we appealed, it is suspended.
We are in Quebec.

I will be going on a business meeting that i cannot pass and somebody has to drive my daughter to her basketball practice next week because it is not accessible by public transportation.

I was wondering, if my son uses his Foreign drivers license(we are from europe) and if he gets stopped and shows his european identification. What happens? Are they able to find his driving record in Canada from his foreign drivers license?

He came back from US 2 days ago. And we are PR.

PS: I am just asking to know, i am not saying i will allow him. I just want to keep it as a last option. I will probably hire a cab/uber for my daughter.
If you knowingly allow a suspended driver to use your vehicle, you could face criminal charges. You and he could both be in serious trouble.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He is suspended from driving. Doesn't matter how many licenses he has. A better idea is to get a cab for your daughter. If you are worried about her safety in a cab, ask your son to go with her.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Holders of a foreign licence are allowed to drive on Québec roads for 6 consecutive months. After that time, they must hold an international driver's permit, or, if they take up residence in Québec, they must obtain a Québec licence. They may apply for a Québec licence as soon as they arrive in Québec.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
In Manitoba, it is illegal to hold more than one DL at the same time. Not sure about Quebec, but it might have similar laws. Watch out.....

Tri-Cities

Aug 10, 2015
This is a question that shouldn't be ask at all in the first place!

He is suspended from driving! Hellooooo? What don't you not get here?

If he drives and, if something happens big time. Instead of asking a question like that you should have a word with yourself and your son. How can you think about letting your daughter get into a car with your son who is a suspended driver --- for a reason --- ?

Something is very wrong with people these days.

Just wow.