+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About Employment Location on Open Work Permit (Restriction?)

Zapchae

Star Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-06-2013
AOR Received.
29-07-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
15-02-2014
Med's Done....
20-06-2014
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
21-07-2014
LANDED..........
26-07-2014
Hi everyone,

I have a quick question about my PGWP. I am currently in BC with this open work permit but I am trying to move to Ontario for a new job.

However on my work permit it says, EMP LOC : Vancouver. Does this mean that I can only work here in Vancouver?

Please let me know. Thanks!

anil13

Jul 16, 2013
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
03-02-2014
Zapchae said:
Hi everyone,

I have a quick question about my PGWP. I am currently in BC with this open work permit but I am trying to move to Ontario for a new job.

However on my work permit it says, EMP LOC : Vancouver. Does this mean that I can only work here in Vancouver?

Very interesting, my PGWP says “EMP Location : Unknown”
I was under the impression that all PGWP's Emp Locations were unknown at the time of application :-X

s_w_u

Mar 21, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-2012
AOR Received.
13-09-2012
Med's Request
05-03-2013
Med's Done....
14-03-2013
Passport Req..
11-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Exempted; CoPR 14-05-2013
LANDED..........
15-05-2013; PR Card received 25-07-2013
Zapchae said:
Hi everyone,

my pgwp was unknown as well.
but I think as long as you stay out from the quebec area you will be fine.

beasty.boy

Jun 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar-2013
AOR Received.
Apr-2013
I'd suggest you call CIC Helpline & ask them, for 2 reasons
1. For PGWP, you location should be unknown.. meaning you can work anywhere (but, it depends on what you mentioned in your application for PGWP). Ask them why your WP restricts you to Vancouver
2. Ask for the process to make amends to the location in your work permit. To my knowledge, you have to submit IMM5701 & wait for the updated work permit.

If you attempt to use the work permit as it is, here are the problems you may face
1. Your employer in Ontario may not employ you if they verify the work permit (They are supposed to verify the conditions on the work permit as well)
2. When you later apply for a PR based on the experience gained with this work permit, the Visa Officer may also note it & it could affect the approval decision.

Better to play it by the rules. I suppose if you apply for amendment, you can consider yourself to be in implied status, explain the situation & start working in Ontario. Again, get this confirmed by calling the CIC Helpline.

Zapchae

Star Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-06-2013
AOR Received.
29-07-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
15-02-2014
Med's Done....
20-06-2014
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
21-07-2014
LANDED..........
26-07-2014
That is very strange.

I think the border officer made a mistake. Since it does not state that I cannot work outside of Vancouver on the conditions list, it may be okay.

I may have to contact CIC to make sure.

Thank you anll13, s_w_u and beasty.boy for comments!

Zapchae

Star Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-06-2013
AOR Received.
29-07-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
15-02-2014
Med's Done....
20-06-2014
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
21-07-2014
LANDED..........
26-07-2014
I just called CIC help center to confirm.

EMP LOC on my open work permit does not restrict myself on the location.

Thanks guys!

dsr301

Oct 11, 2017
Arizona
Job Offer........
Yes

Thanks guys!
My wife have same issue now. Did you had any problem with job when you had wrong location in open work permit?

vikramnz

May 21, 2018

Thanks guys!
Helllo there,
Did immigration people sent you any thing written in case you employer needs it??.......Thanks

vikramnz

May 21, 2018
My wife have same issue now. Did you had any problem with job when you had wrong location in open work permit?
Hi there,
Please update if everything went smooth for you. We are new here and any info will be appreciated.. thanks

Sep 20, 2018
Hi,
My wife’s Open Work Pemit says Employment Location Toronto but nothing specific is mentioned in conditions. Can she work outside of Toronto like in missisauga or vaughan etc ? Any help is appreciated.

Sep 20, 2018
Is North York considered a part of Toronto ? My wife’s OPen Work Permit states the Employment location as Toronto. She got a job in Toro road which comes under North York according to some sources and is under Toronto according to some sources. Can someone help if the employment location in Open work permit puts a restriction in Location ?

Sep 20, 2018
Is there a CIC help line number where the same can be confirmed ? Or something on the CIC website. I can’t seem to find any references for Open work permit restrictions / flexibilities.

Sep 20, 2018
The link mentioned below mentions something about open work permit with restricted location.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/eligibility/open.html

Is the restriction mentioned in the conditions ? If nothing is mentioned in the condition section regarding the location but still the Employment location is mentioned as Toronto: will it be considered a restricted open work permit ?

Reactions: jes_ON