+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Able to stay in Canada during spouse sponsorship application?

carmenlau

Nov 7, 2017
Hey Carmen,
I want to invite my fiance on a tourist visa here and get married. Is that what you did? any suggestion on what to write in the invitation letter thanks??

Hi, what I did was I applied for a visitor visa purely saying I’m there to visit. I showed my strong ties with my home country and I have the fund. My agent told me it’s harder to get approve if I say I’m there to visit specific person

carmenlau

Nov 7, 2017
Hey Carmen,
I want to invite my fiance on a tourist visa here and get married. Is that what you did? any suggestion on what to write in the invitation letter thanks??
Also, when i applied for tourist visa back then, i hasnt have any plans of getting marry yet nor confirming my move to Canada. So i didnt have my then-boyfriend to write me any invitation letter. I was lucky to be able to get a multiple entries visa.

but now im worry about my next entry in March as this time i will be there for 2months+ to settle down the life there and be ready before our wedding in August this year. I have my return ticket bought , i hope that the officers allow me to stay till that date.

Jasmine1805

Aug 22, 2018
Hello,

I have the same concern with Carmenlau. Can anyone explain a bit for me in this case:
I applied OUT-LAND spouse sponsorship application one month ago and do not receive the confirmation letter yet.
But currently, I have a Visitor Visa (exp. 2024). Also, I have searched on cic.gc.ca website about how to get open work permit, and the result is:
"Types of work permits for your situation
You have a temporary resident permit valid for at least six months
You may be eligible for an open work permit. You also need to meet the general eligibility requirements for a work permit."

=> So can I re-entry to Canada with VISITOR visa, and will apply open work permit when I stay there? Is my permanent residence application affected if any?

Thanks so much!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

I have the same concern with Carmenlau. Can anyone explain a bit for me in this case:
I applied OUT-LAND spouse sponsorship application one month ago and do not receive the confirmation letter yet.
But currently, I have a Visitor Visa (exp. 2024). Also, I have searched on cic.gc.ca website about how to get open work permit, and the result is:
You may be eligible for an open work permit. You also need to meet the general eligibility requirements for a work permit."

=> So can I re-entry to Canada with VISITOR visa, and will apply open work permit when I stay there? Is my permanent residence application affected if any?

Thanks so much!
A Temporary Resident Permit is NOT a TRV. It is a special permit granted to people who are otherwise inadmissible to Canada. You do not qualify for an OWP. You can come to Canada as a visitor while your PR app processes.

Reactions: Jasmine1805

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Hello,

Thanks so much!
Since you applied outland, you cannot apply for an open work permit. You just have to keep your status valid for your duration of your stay in Canada by applying for extensions before any set date agent has assigned you to stay. If an agent did not assign any set leave date, the leave date is 6 month after your entry date.

Reactions: Jasmine1805

Jasmine1805

Aug 22, 2018
Thankyou everyone for the respones. I am quite regret that I did not apply application Inland before. :(
Now I can go to Canada by visitor visa, but I really want to work legally during application processing time for living. What I can do now is just waiting.
Does anyone know when we will receive the confirmation email about application received, or application number... after submitting application (submit on paper)?
Thankyou!