+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AB auto insurance

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
hi all.

How can I get my spouse under my auto insurance coverage while waiting for his PR and work permit? I live in AB. He holds an American license.

Thanks.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You can’t add them directly to the policy until they hold an Alberta DL. But if you have coverage for other drivers on your vehicle, they will be covered.

Reactions: wsidd

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
You can’t add them directly to the policy until they hold an Alberta DL. But if you have coverage for other drivers on your vehicle, they will be covered.
Thanks for the reply. Would that provide full coverage though? If he gets into a crash, how exactly would coverage work? Do you know if holding an international driver's permit makes him eligible for insurance?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Works the same as any policy. If you are covered for additional drivers, the policy coverage is the same. It’s actually the vehicle that is insured, not just the driver.

LisaH

Star Member
Jan 21, 2019
hi all.

How can I get my spouse under my auto insurance coverage while waiting for his PR and work permit? I live in AB. He holds an American license.

Thanks.
I got my own individual auto insurance policy in Alberta with my US driver's license. I provided insurance broker with my driving abstract from US auto insurance showing my record as well as a report from state's Department of Motor Vehicles. Once I got my work permit, I was able to get an Alberta license.

Reactions: wsidd

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
I got my own individual auto insurance policy in Alberta with my US driver's license. I provided insurance broker with my driving abstract from US auto insurance showing my record as well as a report from state's Department of Motor Vehicles. Once I got my work permit, I was able to get an Alberta license.
From which insurance company?

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
Wawanesa Insurance through an agent. I had a choice of several companies as well as Alberta Motor Association which quoted me.
Thanks! I'll look into them. Was this relatively recent, in the last year or two? The few I've checked so far require AB license.

Also, does anyone know where I can get photo ID for him showing shared address? To get an Alberta id card, need proof of residency.

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
Also, what was your status when you purchased insurance with American license? Did you have a work permit, visitor, student?

LisaH

Star Member
Jan 21, 2019
Also, what was your status when you purchased insurance with American license? Did you have a work permit, visitor, student?
This was April of this year. I had an IEC work permit that was expiring, so I don't think status was an issue.

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
This was April of this year. I had an IEC work permit that was expiring, so I don't think status was an issue.
They didn't ask for any proof of residency, either provincial or federal? Thank you for all the info :) this is very helpful!

LisaH

Star Member
Jan 21, 2019
They didn't ask for any proof of residency, either provincial or federal? Thank you for all the info :) this is very helpful!
I explained my situation clearly to them. Expiring Work permit and that I had applied for Permanent Residency. No issues, but they wanted ALL my driving info from United States.

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
I explained my situation clearly to them. Expiring Work permit and that I had applied for Permanent Residency. No issues, but they wanted ALL my driving info from United States.
Ah okay. I'll call AMA and report back on what happens! Thank you again!

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
Update: I called AMA and they confirmed they're able to take his American license and to bring the abstract + no claims letter so he doesn't get treated as a new driver.

Reactions: LisaH