+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A visitor in Canada applying for a study permit

et3rn1ty

Mar 23, 2014
Hi everyone,
I am a little bit confused and I hope the experienced members here can give me some answers.
I am helping a friend who is a visitor here to apply for a study permit to study in Canada.
First of all, I believe as a visitor in Canada you can still apply for a study permit without leaving Canada. My friend will just need to send the application to the consulate in LA.
So here are my questions:
1. Do I send the application directly by mail to the consulate in LA or through the Visa Application Center (csc-cvac.com/en-US/selfservice/cvac_welcome)? I see that applying through the VAC will cost you another $40.
2.He needs to apply for a co-op work permit as well. Does he need to submit the work permit application too - IMM5710?
3. In the study permit application IMM1294, page 1 question 9 is asking for country where applying, I believe I should put Canada since my friend is already here. Is that correct?
4. My friend is Korean (so he didn't need a TRV - temporary resident visa - to come to Canada), that means he doesn't need to send his passport to the LA office. Is that correct?
5. My friend doesn't have a lot of money here (around 2k-4k) but his father will send him money to pay for his school and living expenses. He will use his father's bank statement ($50k equivalent available in foreign currency)from Korea as proof of funds. I saw on this website that it should be ok. Would you agree? canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/visas/faq.aspx
6. My friend expects to start school on May 5 but it looks like there is not enough time. What is the expected processing time these days? The website only says min 30 days can-am.gc.ca/visas/processing-traitement.aspx?lang=eng
7. If he doesn't show the proof of the medical exam, can he send it later (but before being requested)? Where can he send it to?

I know I have so many questions but thank you very much for your help.

richardlin

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Aug 14, 2016
AOR Received.
Sep 9, 2016
File Transfer...
Sep 16, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sep 28, 2016 (Passed)
Interview........
No (Jan 11, 2017 Decision Made on ECAS)
Passport Req..
Jan 24, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 1, 2017
LANDED..........
Feb 5, 2017
having the same situation..

hope someone will answer :)

Manka

Jul 1, 2014
i applied to same office for a study permit. i had 20,000 can$ as proof of funding and i paid my fall tuition in full. i didnt post my pp as its the only identification documenti have here. hopefully they will ask for it when they need it. i havent had a reply yet. i applied july 19. but my friend who already has her permit didnt post her pp.. they asked for it when her decision was made

vinch286

Nov 2, 2014
I'll be having the same situation. I'm currently in Canada holding a Visitors visa and I'm sending my Student permit application to VAC-LA when I receive my Letter of Acceptance from the school I applied for. I'm aware that we can not convert our Visitors (Tourist) visa within Canada and a friend here in Canada told me to send my application from outside Canada that's why I'm planning to send my application to VAC-LA instead. This is my first time to do this and I don't have a lawyer to assist me. Is this process really working? ::)