+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A valid permanent resident visa on a soon expired passport

popeyede

Jun 27, 2018
I received my permanent resident visa last week~ and I have till march 2019 to complete the landing process. The passport that the visa is on will expire 04/2019. However, I need to get a new passport 6 months prior the old one expires. I am debating whether I should do the landing process while my passport is still valid for travel before Oct 2018 or should I wait till I get my new passport?

I know that usually tourist visa wouldn't become invalid, just because the passport that visa is on is expired. However, I am not sure about permanent resident visa......

Anyone has similar experiences?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I received my permanent resident visa last week~ and I have till march 2019 to complete the landing process. The passport that the visa is on will expire 04/2019. However, I need to get a new passport 6 months prior the old one expires. I am debating whether I should do the landing process while my passport is still valid for travel before Oct 2018 or should I wait till I get my new passport?

I know that usually tourist visa wouldn't become invalid, just because the passport that visa is on is expired. However, I am not sure about permanent resident visa......

Anyone has similar experiences?
It would be safer to do a "soft landing" (search the forum for what this means) before October in case there are any problems or delays in getting a new passport or the old one gets lost. However, even if your older passport is cancelled when the new one is issued, the IM-1 visa will be still be valid.

Reactions: popeyede

popeyede

Jun 27, 2018
It would be safer to do a "soft landing" (search the forum for what this means) before October in case there are any problems or delays in getting a new passport or the old one gets lost. However, even if your older passport is cancelled when the new one is issued, the IM-1 visa will be still be valid.
Thanks so much for your response!!! I am still very new to the Canada immigration system. This forum really helped me!
I am wondering what are some of pros and cons of soft landing?

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
Thanks so much for your response!!! I am still very new to the Canada immigration system. This forum really helped me!
I am wondering what are some of pros and cons of soft landing?
No cons. Just Pros.