+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A too high CRS for OINP Tech draw?

powerssdd

Aug 4, 2019
Since all streams of EE have been suspended except PNP, I am considering OINP Tech draw.

However, my CRS is 500+ if I include my abroad work exp, which seems too high for OINP Tech draw.

This stream not only has a minimun CRS, but also a maximum limit, which is around 460 - 470.

I guess I missed one tech draw just because my CRS is too high.

I considered lowering it to 470 by removing my work exp, but what if CEC resumes all of a sudden?
I may miss the first CEC draw instead.

Does anyone have suggestions to resolve this dilemma?

Thanks in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Since all streams of EE have been suspended except PNP, I am considering OINP Tech draw.

However, my CRS is 500+ if I include my abroad work exp, which seems too high for OINP Tech draw.

This stream not only has a minimun CRS, but also a maximum limit, which is around 460 - 470.

I guess I missed one tech draw just because my CRS is too high.

I considered lowering it to 470 by removing my work exp, but what if CEC resumes all of a sudden?
I may miss the first CEC draw instead.

Does anyone have suggestions to resolve this dilemma?

Thanks in advance!
You will have to pick between lowering your score to hopefully get an Ontario nomination or keeping it high in anticipation of a CEC or general EE draw.

Reducing your score won't guarantee an OINP tech draw selection. However it will certainly give you a shot at a nomination. Ontario doesn't necessarily invite all NOC on the list with each draw.

Ultimately you have to make a tough choice.

powerssdd

Aug 4, 2019
You will have to pick between lowering your score to hopefully get an Ontario nomination or keeping it high in anticipation of a CEC or general EE draw.

Reducing your score won't guarantee an OINP tech draw selection. However it will certainly give you a shot at a nomination. Ontario doesn't necessarily invite all NOC on the list with each draw.

Ultimately you have to make a tough choice.
Thanks for the reply!

I am considering lowering my CRS, because tech draw happens only 2 - 3 times per year, but CEC, if it ever resumes, would happen bi-weekly, so missing one CEC draw is better than missing a tech draw.

Reactions: scylla

oinkario

Nov 2, 2021
Category........
PNP
It’s quite likely that either CEC or all-program draw resumes within the first half of 2022, and your 500+ score will definitely qualify. The line of thought is that half a year is a long time to deal with backlogs, and as soon as backlogs get under control (which it will because there’s only PNP coming in), they gotta invite someone, which always includes high-score CEC.

The OINP path takes 3-4 months at the very least, assuming immediate tech draw + all documents ready + fast nomination + immediate ITA. More realistic timeframe is half a year, where you might as well just wait for EE draw.

Plus there’s no telling whether Ontario wakes up and realize the upper bound doesn’t make that much sense. It’s a new calendar year after all, what if the tech draw cutoff goes to like 475?

Last edited:

powerssdd

Aug 4, 2019
The OINP path takes 3-4 months at the very least, assuming immediate tech draw + all documents ready + fast nomination + immediate ITA. It’s quite likely that either CEC or all-program draw resumes within the first half of 2022, and your 500+ score will definitely qualify.
Yeah, I would be using tech draw as plan B.

No one knows when or whether CEC or all program would resume. It could be suspended for another 8 months in its worst case.
And if this is the case, the draws in the remaining 3 months would require crazy high CSRs considering there are 200K applicants in the pool. The competition would be intense.
If any of my abroad work exp is not recognized, I may not qualify in the whole year.
So risking it is not my best strategy I would say.

oinkario

Nov 2, 2021
Category........
PNP
Yeah, I would be using tech draw as plan B.

No one knows when or whether CEC or all program would resume. It could be suspended for another 8 months in its worst case.
And if this is the case, the draws in the remaining 3 months would require crazy high CSRs considering there are 200K applicants in the pool. The competition would be intense.
If any of my abroad work exp is not recognized, I may not qualify in the whole year.
So risking it is not my best strategy I would say.
I see. If there’s any risk to the work exp, that changes the story. On the other hand, once you get OINP nomination, you basically can’t fail CRS no matter what (assuming the 67-point EE eligibility). It makes sense then.

Also one can speculate that EITHER the first tech draw happens before the first EE draw, OR the EE draw happens soon enough that everyone 500+ can expect ITA this year. It doesn’t hurt to try the OINP route, I guess?

500+ score folks worrying about competition though .. what a time to be in the pool :(

Last edited:

powerssdd

Aug 4, 2019
I see. If there’s any risk to the work exp, that changes the story. On the other hand, once you get OINP nomination, you basically can’t fail CRS no matter what (assuming the 67-point EE eligibility). It makes sense then.

Also one can speculate that EITHER the first tech draw happens before the first EE draw, OR the EE draw happens soon enough that everyone 500+ can expect ITA this year. It doesn’t hurt to try the OINP route, I guess?

500+ score folks worrying about competition though .. what a time to be in the pool :(
Yeah, after PNP nomination, you still get 45 days to decide if you want to apply for it or not.
So if I don't want to pay this extra $1500, I can wait another 45 days to see if CEC resumes.

I just cannot believe I am this unfortunate.
Last Feb when they invited every single applicant in CEC pool, I didn't have 1 year exp.
Last May when they converted TR to PR, I didn't have IELTS.
Last Sep, right after I entered the pool, it stopped.

I want to slap myself every time I think about this.