+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A Special Case?

Kisaichi

Oct 11, 2013
My father was born in Canada in 1965 in New Brunswick. His biological parents left him at a nunnery as a baby and he was then adopted by his adoptive parents and has lived in the United States since then. He has a U.S. birth certificate stating that his place of birth was in Canada and that his original certificate was on file in Canada. He doesn't have his Canadian Birth Certificate on him nor do his adoptive parents. He said that the nunnery burned down a long time ago. So I have a few questions

1) Is my father still a Canadian Citizen?

2) Do you have any tips on how he could go about getting proof of citizenship?

3) Am I already a Canadian citizen (If he was a Canadian citizen at the time of my birth) if I was born in the US in 1997 and have lived here my whole life?

waleedhk

Sep 28, 2013
have to contact the immigration dept. they should have you and your father on their records. And if not then get anything related to nunnery, that proves all of this

Kisaichi

Oct 11, 2013
waleedhk said:
have to contact the immigration dept. they should have you and your father on their records. And if not then get anything related to nunnery, that proves all of this
I looked up the number for their call center but it's only for people who are in Canada.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
Kisaichi said:
My father was born in Canada in 1965 in New Brunswick. His biological parents left him at a nunnery as a baby and he was then adopted by his adoptive parents and has lived in the United States since then. He has a U.S. birth certificate stating that his place of birth was in Canada and that his original certificate was on file in Canada. He doesn't have his Canadian Birth Certificate on him nor do his adoptive parents. He said that the nunnery burned down a long time ago. So I have a few questions

1) Is my father still a Canadian Citizen?

2) Do you have any tips on how he could go about getting proof of citizenship?

3) Am I already a Canadian citizen (If he was a Canadian citizen at the time of my birth) if I was born in the US in 1997 and have lived here my whole life?
1. Unless he made an effort to abandon his Canadian citizenship he should still be a citizen.

2. Apply for proof citizenship and see what happens.

3. You should be a citizen, yes, but your father needs his papers in good order before you can get yours.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Swede said:
1. Unless he made an effort to abandon his Canadian citizenship he should still be a citizen.

2. Apply for proof citizenship and see what happens.

3. You should be a citizen, yes, but your father needs his papers in good order before you can get yours.
To start the ball rolling the father would have to apply for a copy of his Canadian birth certificate: http://www.snb.ca/e/1000/1000-01/e/AppForms-e.asp

Kisaichi

Oct 11, 2013
PMM said:
Hi

To start the ball rolling the father would have to apply for a copy of his Canadian birth certificate:
Well the birth certificate would have a different last name listed (since he was adopted) and he does not know the names of his biological parents. I hope he is still able to get it.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Kisaichi said:
Well the birth certificate would have a different last name listed (since he was adopted) and he does not know the names of his biological parents. I hope he is still able to get it.
1. The adoption certificate should show his name at birth. Without his original birth certificate, the adoption papers, a US birth certificate saying born in Canada is not going to be sufficient proof IMHO.