+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A settledown question before appling

winter876

Feb 25, 2009
Hello all,

I was wondering if you must settle down (live and work) in the same province, from which you immigrate under Provincial Nomination Program, or you can live anywhere you want?
For example, if you apply through Alberta under PNP, and get approved, Can you live in Vancouver after landing in Alberta? If you can, will it be a problem when you apply for citizenship after 3years?

Many thanks in advance!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you apply for a PNP, normally you sign a document stating that you intend to settle in that province. If you move right away to another province, they could possibly go after you and accuse you of having lied on your application therefore voiding your PR.

There is no minimum time stated and as far as I know they are not actively going after people who leave right away but just be aware that they possibly could if they felt like starting it. If you really want to leave, at least stay a couple of months so you could say you tried to look for jobs in case somebody ever asks.

ainpdude

Nov 29, 2008
Leon said:
When you apply for a PNP, normally you sign a document stating that you intend to settle in that province. If you move right away to another province, they could possibly go after you and accuse you of having lied on your application therefore voiding your PR.

There is no minimum time stated and as far as I know they are not actively going after people who leave right away but just be aware that they possibly could if they felt like starting it. If you really want to leave, at least stay a couple of months so you could say you tried to look for jobs in case somebody ever asks.
i believe the most appropriate thing to do is land in Alberta... i am located far ways from alberta/US border but i
still plan to make it all the way there for landing

bendjoe

Aug 23, 2008
Leon said:
as far as I know they are not actively going after people who leave right away but just be aware that they possibly could if they felt like starting it.
They should start going after those folks, I have seen so many people asking this question here, the obvious intention is to grab PR through Alberta and then cheat. Should not be encouraged.

C

cchabert

bendjoe said:
Leon said:
as far as I know they are not actively going after people who leave right away but just be aware that they possibly could if they felt like starting it.
They should start going after those folks, I have seen so many people asking this question here, the obvious intention is to grab PR through Alberta and then cheat. Should not be encouraged.
And because of that the next step from Alberta is make things more difficult for the rest of us, just go and settle in Alberta end of history.

ainpdude

Nov 29, 2008
cchabert said:
bendjoe said:
Leon said:
And because of that the next step from Alberta is make things more difficult for the rest of us, just go and settle in Alberta end of history.
enclosing PR recepients in the same province can be no "practical politics"

alberta nomination is endowed in good faith with the hope to grow the economy with influx of new immigrants .. the least common denominator in expectation
would be some demonstration of efforts on part of recpeint to settle in alberta...

an increasing lack thereof might lead to SRS getting more stringent....

two new clauses added to ainp form "demonstrating clear intention" to settle there can be an instance

Flori

Star Member
Sep 18, 2008
I couldn't agree more. They are giving you the opportunity to live there, they are also expediting your process, they are making things easier for you, they implement a program that nobody else have, they also NEED YOU. I've been looking online and Alberta does looks like a nice place to live. So the least people could do is to have the intention to actually live in the province. If times goes by and you can't get a job, or you really don't like the place, you are free to move wherever you like, and its totally understandable.

But I know and understand why did you ask the question and we shouldn't be so harsh on the people who ask it, it's good to know that you could move if things doesn't go well. Nobody here would like to move there knowing that you HAVE TO stay in Alberta if that were the case, no matter how much we'd love to live in Alberta.