+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A question about the time change

AlleyCatHamze

Star Member
Sep 4, 2014
Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ok, so I started the process in January and they received it in March of this year. All through this time until today, I have been monitoring Hong Kong's processing time and it had always been 9 months. Today, I have noticed it jumped to 20 months.
The question is, how does this time jump affect my process since already several months have passed?

PS: What's even more vexing is the fact, my friend is sponsoring his wife from Mexico. He applied 1 month only before I did. Looking at Mexico's processing time was 18 months until I checked today and it is still at 17 months. The question is, since he only applied 1 month before I did and everything went just as smooth between the his and my process, how come his wife already got her visa and will be in Canada in September?
NOTHING IS MAKING ANY SENSE

mercyofGod

Mar 14, 2015
Category........
AlleyCatHamze said:
ok, so I started the process in January and they received it in March of this year. All through this time until today, I have been monitoring Hong Kong's processing time and it had always been 9 months. Today, I have noticed it jumped to 20 months.
The question is, how does this time jump affect my process since already several months have passed?

PS: What's even more vexing is the fact, my friend is sponsoring his wife from Mexico. He applied 1 month only before I did. Looking at Mexico's processing time was 18 months until I checked today and it is still at 17 months. The question is, since he only applied 1 month before I did and everything went just as smooth between the his and my process, how come his wife already got her visa and will be in Canada in September?
NOTHING IS MAKING ANY SENSE
Actually the new processing time is ridiculous but there is nothing we can do about it because it's stated on their site that the processing time can change without notice, all l will say is hang in there you are almost at the end and soon your application shall be touch in Jesus name, good luck.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The current posted time applies to everyone, regardless of when you applied.

Keep in mind that the posted time is NOT an average but how long it took to process 80% of apps. This means that 79% of apps are processed faster, with the actual average being several months less.

Don't compare your app with others, especially those of different nationalities being processed at different offices. There are MANY factors that influence processing time. For example, background and security checks depend a lot on the response time from the applicant's country.

AlleyCatHamze

Star Member
Sep 4, 2014
Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the confidence guys. It really bummed me out because I would have had only a couple of months and it would have been at least close to over. You can't even write and ask them as they say only if the time is late. How the hell am I supposed to know if it late or not after changing the time in midway??
This is really vexing.
A stupid question. I am going to visit my wife in China. If I go to Hong Kong and go to the embassy to ask about the process, do you think this will help anything?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
AlleyCatHamze said:
A stupid question. I am going to visit my wife in China. If I go to Hong Kong and go to the embassy to ask about the process, do you think this will help anything?
No - it won't help at all. Chances are you won't even get in far enough to speak to someone in the right department. Don't bother.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
scylla said:
No - it won't help at all. Chances are you won't even get in far enough to speak to someone in the right department. Don't bother.
It's "guaranteed" that you won't. In Manila, it was changed such that you can't even get past the front door. When I was there before that change, another French-Canadian gentleman was there kicking up a similar fuss . . . they were having none of it. He wasn't getting anywhere.

rugrat907

Feb 3, 2015
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
25-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-11-2014, remeds on 04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 21-12-2015
canuck_in_uk said:
The current posted time applies to everyone, regardless of when you applied.

Keep in mind that the posted time is NOT an average but how long it took to process 80% of apps. This means that 79% of apps are processed faster, with the actual average being several months less.

Don't compare your app with others, especially those of different nationalities being processed at different offices. There are MANY factors that influence processing time. For example, background and security checks depend a lot on the response time from the applicant's country.
This. And keep in mind that the processing times are based on historical data - in this case from July 1, 2014 to June 30, 2015. The best way to keep up on more realistic times is by following the thread for your specific visa office and see what's happening in real time.

AlleyCatHamze

Star Member
Sep 4, 2014
Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for that last question reply. I didn't think it would work. It was stupid. However I did look at the status online and it always said "application received". Now for the first time I noticed it says "in process". Crossing my fingers. Wish me luck guys. It really sucked to see it jumping from 9 to 20 months. I know most countries have to originally face that time. But when you have your hopes up for 9 months and 7 months later you realize it is 20 months... it is very devastating :(

rugrat907

Feb 3, 2015
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
25-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-11-2014, remeds on 04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 21-12-2015
AlleyCatHamze said:
Thanks for that last question reply. I didn't think it would work. It was stupid. However I did look at the status online and it always said "application received". Now for the first time I noticed it says "in process". Crossing my fingers. Wish me luck guys. It really sucked to see it jumping from 9 to 20 months. I know most countries have to originally face that time. But when you have your hopes up for 9 months and 7 months later you realize it is 20 months... it is very devastating :(
If your status has changed to 'in process" then that's a very good sign...congratulations and good luck! Your wait might be coming to an end soon.

M

mikeymyke

AlleyCatHamze, you need to relax. First of all, you got "In Process". This is a very good sign as it means your application is close to being finished.

Secondly, the processing times don't mean nothing. Only those applications with lots of red flags or other issues will get close to those times. My wife's time was 30 months, but we got our visa in under 6 months. As mentioned, the processing times just state how long it takes to complete 80% of the applications.

AlleyCatHamze

Star Member
Sep 4, 2014
Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MikeyMyke also thanks to you for the confidence :) of course also thanks to everyone else who responded. You guys are a great help