+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A question about immigrating with my pet parrot

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GetUsHome said:
How freaked out were these animals? There maybe some flying in our dog's future and we are wondering.

thx
The experience varies a lot depending on the size of the dog - if it's small enough and light enough, many airlines will let you travel with them under the seat in front of you - you'll need to pay for the privilege but it saves them and you the aggravation of traveling as cargo. Otherwise, they need to travel as cargo in the 'belly' of the plane.

Sounds like steaky's dog traveled as cargo. My dog's traveled under the seat in front of me before (and my seatmates have been floored when they see him emerge at customs since they were blissfully unaware that my bag was a dog :) ) Either way, the key is to get a good bag (for in-cabin) or crate (for cargo) and to get them super used to it. I love my dog travel bag - and my dog adores it - and can tell you all about it if it would help.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cats and dogs generally do not like to soil themselves so they will try to avoid going in their kennels if at all possible. I have traveled with cats before and they also did not go in their kennels even though they had a long flight.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
OhCanadiana said:
Sounds like steaky's dog traveled as cargo. My dog's traveled under the seat in front of me before (and my seatmates have been floored when they see him emerge at customs since they were blissfully unaware that my bag was a dog :) ) Either way, the key is to get a good bag (for in-cabin) or crate (for cargo) and to get them super used to it. I love my dog travel bag - and my dog adores it - and can tell you all about it if it would help.
How do you get your dog not to panic in the plane? Is there dog sedatives available? Ours is small enough to be carry-on. We are debating whether to bring her. In Canada our house is partly carpeted and our dog is not house broken to that extent :(

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have heard people say that the vet gave them a sedative for their pet but some say it is not necessary or even not recommended, see http://www.aircanada.com/cargo/en/solutions/ac_live/ac_live_preparing.html

I am sure you can housebreak your dog. You could look up some tips on the net or ask a dog trainer for help.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Steph C said:
How do you get your dog not to panic in the plane? Is there dog sedatives available? Ours is small enough to be carry-on. We are debating whether to bring her. In Canada our house is partly carpeted and our dog is not house broken to that extent :(
While it's dependent on your dog's personality, you can influence the outcome *a lot* by preparing yourself - and your dog - for this. It should be doable even without sedatives for most dogs (if your dog has a very loud and/or nervous personality, talk to your vet as they do have sedatives available ... they use them less and less, though, to avoid breathing issues compounded by higher altitude)

To set yourself up for success, get yourself a good pet carrier.
We did a lot of research on this and ended up getting a Jet Set carrier, which we absolutely adore for many reasons:
- It opens up on both ends - i.e., you can unzip it on either end or turn it into a tunnel. This is especially helpful as you train the dog to go into it (walking in to a tunnel while he sees your encouraging smile on the other end is very different from walking into a black confined space). It also proves very helpful whenever you need to access him for security or customs checks along the way.
- You can attach the straps in various ways and use it as a shoulder bag, tote bag, or backpack. You can also use it as a car restraint device with a seat belt and keep one of the ends open (while not as comfy as his usual car seat, it would still keeps him safe in case of an accident and we can use luggage or jackets to prop him up and give him window access in the car)
- They use mesh on the sides so you can keep it relatively cool ... but you can 'lower the blinds' and cover the sides if you want added discretion as you go around the terminal.
- Best of all, it looks just like a duffel bag so it won't attract attention. The more people that come up and say 'oh how cuuuuuuute,' the more stressed your dog (and you) are likely to become.
- The hard bottom but soft sides make it easy to just prop on top of a rolling carry-on (carrying the duffel gets heavy across a terminal!)
- It has a clip that you can clip to a harness so that he stays inside even with the doors open and a washable "carpet" that makes it easy to keep clean (they do get hot and sweaty in the bag)
You can get it at a discount from MSRP so check around (FWIW, we ended up using Amazon at the time)

Once you have whatever bag you pick, invest time in training your dog to tolerate the bag (love will come after the first trip).
It really is essential to get your dog used to it. Ours loves his bag now, since it always means fun times!

When we got our bag, we got our dachshund used to the bag over several days, increasing the amount of time he spent in it gradually. The first time it was a quick walk through the tunnel. After a few times, we zipped him up. As we increased the time he was in the carrier, we toted him around the house as we cleaned or did laundry (you want to incorporate unexpected movements since you don't want to startle him when they happen when you're in an airport). We also sometimes just left him zipped up by our feet so he got used to the fact that that's were he'd be for several hours. We read our dog carefully so that we didn't push him too far - you want it to always be a tolerable experience - so build up over time and be effusive in praising him when he comes out.

You'll want him used to the bag and want to be able to get him in and out easily and quickly (for security, for customs at landing, etc).

Success is very possible and feels great! We took our dog on a six hour plane ride the first time around (due to a family emergency we had to reschedule our holiday plans and had just over a week to prepare for it). With the prep work we did in that time, we got him onto the plane and to the other end six hours later without a peep (I will say, he was very used to traveling in a car before that but is also used to having full freedom around the house). He slept the whole way! I was thrilled when some of the folks that sat around me on the plane expressed their surprise that I had a dog with me when I pulled him out at customs' request. My husband and I each traveled with him on one leg of a journey separately - he also had no trouble at all and said he's never had such a good experience walking through TSA ... he he attracted all the female TSA agents and was surrounded by 'awwwwww....he's soooooo cuuuuuuuuute' as he carried him through the metal detector.

Our dog absolutely loves his carrier now and begs to go in it as he knows that fun is coming! It's really cute to see him get his head wrapped up in the straps if the carrier is zipped up trying to get into it by himself (I laughed so hard when I was cleaning out the closet a few months later and looked over to see him wrapped up in the straps sitting on top of the bag convinced the next adventure was coming with a smug look of I made it into the bag myself!)

Regarding housebreaking him ... you can do it. Don't let that keep you apart! Get a small doggy fence if you want to initially to restrain him to part of the house and use doggy pads for emergencies if he's used to going outside. If you have a fence, you could also get a doggy door.

Remrov

May 16, 2012
Thanks for all the info! :)

I live in the Netherlands and I've read that it is allowed to get a parrot from the Netherlands into Canada. But there are strict rules.

I found out that the only way I can get Pilaf (my parrot) into Canada is through this organisation called 'animals to fly'. I have to bring Pilaf to Schiphol airport to 'animals to fly' before we fly. The people there will take care of him. They also have a special kennel/cage for him there. 'Animals to fly' only flies with Lufthansa and they keep the animals in a heated area. Then they have a stop in Frankfurt and the animals are taking care of there also. And then of course the rest of the flight to Montreal.

I have exchanged a few emails with a woman from 'animals to fly'. So I'm going to stay in contact with her if I have more questions.

I'm just more concerned about the whole quarantine issue. In the end of June me and my boyfriend fly to Montreal together to set things up in Montreal. I'm flying back to the Netherlands in the end of June, and my boyfriend will stay there. In this month I also want to try to get our appartment approved as a quarantine space for Pilaf. I really hope we will succeed.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
Maybe your parrot should start learning French then!

GetUsHome

Star Member
Mar 24, 2011
Thanks for the link. Luckily we have a corgi so a long walk is 15 feet. Not really. :)

He has always been a good traveler. We will drive him to Canada but wondered about getting him to Mexico in the winter.

steaky said:
A LONG walk is sometimes not practicable, especially when your dog is stubborn and not trained to sleep in the kennel or the owner has so much things to take care before departure. Anyways, this was my experience bringing my dog to Canada myself rather than hiring a transport company:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/landing-in-calgary-t94074.0.html;msg1230706#msg1230706

I was so surprised that my dog did not go to the bathroom in his kennel for more than 15 hours!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I was wondering if you were able to bring your Pet parrot along. Please share your experience.
This is a really old discussion. The regulation may have changed since then. It also depending on where you will be importing your parrot from and exactly what type (any on the endanger list likely cannot be imported)

This was OP's last reply about the parrot:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/august-2012-applicants-thread.114060/page-111#post-2256814

She never post after her landing which was a week from this last post.