+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

a Query on Canadian PR

Jul 3, 2018
Dear All, Hope you are doing fine.

I wish to put up my story and request you to guide and advice me for the same.

I was on a student visa in Toronto in the year 2012 for a 2 year course. As my family member was not well back home,I left the course halfway (completed 2 out of 4 semesters) and returned back to my home country with completing all the exit formalities from the college in the Year 2013.

As this was a an emergency situation, I did not close my Bank accounts. Also I had used my 1000$ students credit card to the fullest along with having 4 contract smart phones in my name. This happened in the year 2013.

With all due respect and my love for Canada, I wish to apply for Permanent Residency and willing to payback to the smart phone company and to the bank their money which i owe. However this is possible only when they allow me to enter on PR and pay them through my salary.

Please advice based on my above facts

1. Does border security Canada checks with the debts ?

2. Is my name already put in the criminal records (due to taking away smart phones)

3. Has Canada government blacklisted me for the above facts ?

4. Will I be eligible for the Permanent Residency in Canada ?

5. Will the Border security Officer deport me back to my country / arrest me / take on the spot penalty from me.

6. If granted or allowed entering into canada, will I have problems or face challenges clearing my debts.

Any other person would have avoided going back, but I love that country and wish to settle with the cleanest record. Requesting you all to reply with your valuable advice. Many thanks.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
  1. No they don’t.
  2. Doubtful
  3. No
  4. That will depend on your eligibility other than your credit history.
  5. Under what circumstance? For bad credit......then no.
  6. Your credit rating may be a mess. I’d suggest talking to a credit councillor prior to discussing repayment with the credit card company or the phone company. Offering to or making a payment at this point may make your credit worse than it is. Your bank account has probably been closed as it’s been dormant for nearly 6 years.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Irelevant to the PR discussion but why would anyone want 4 contract phones at same time ? Guess could be more suspicious with 4 'burner' phones.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hindsight is a wonderful thing,taking out contract phones for family much same as loaning them money but still your debt. All past now so good luck with your PR application stay positive and positive things happen.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Expect that you may have difficulty renting an apartment or getting a phone. Taking out 4 phone contracts still makes no sense. If family arrived you could get them at that time.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Won't affect anything to do with your PR, chances of you getting anything related to "credit", is slim to none. Sounds like there was nothing stopping you from making payments from overseas for your debts. Lesson learned

mahi2020

Oct 7, 2016
Basically OP brought free iphones for his family back home.

In USA bad credit is wiped off from credit history after 7 years, possibly same rules would apply in Canada as well.