+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"A professional degree needed to practice a licensed profession" - Law LLB Help

Oliverspinks

Sep 15, 2019
I have had my 3 year LLB Law degree from the UK evaluated by WES as a Bachelor's degree (four years).
However, looking at the Professional Degree definition on the Canada.ca website it states:

For Express Entry, only degrees in these fields can earn equal points to a Master’s degree:

• medicine
  • veterinary medicine
  • dentistry
  • podiatry
  • optometry
  • law
  • chiropractic medicine
  • pharmacy
Can anyone confirm whether I can enter my degree as a professional degree, even though my WES says 4 years bachelor?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
No. Your ECA report has to say "Professional Degree".

For some reason WES seems to not recognize most law degrees. People have reported better results with IQAS or CES. Search the forum, there's a long thread where people discuss this.

Oliverspinks

Sep 15, 2019
No. Your ECA report has to say "Professional Degree".

For some reason WES seems to not recognize most law degrees. People have reported better results with IQAS or CES. Search the forum, there's a long thread where people discuss this.
I have done research on other posts, with others stating that CIC are not bound by WES and that a letter of explanation should be submitted explaining that WES does not evaluate it the same as iqas and ces and that a Uk Law LLB is a bachelor of law and therefore should be classified as a professional degree.

I am looking for clarity on this and whether anybody has done this and been accepted

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I have done research on other posts, with others stating that CIC are not bound by WES and that a letter of explanation should be submitted explaining that WES does not evaluate it the same as iqas and ces and that a Uk Law LLB is a bachelor of law and therefore should be classified as a professional degree.

I am looking for clarity on this and whether anybody has done this and been accepted
As far as I know this will not work. IRCC goes by what's written on the ECA, nothing more than that. If you know for a fact that it works, you can try it. I wouldn't, though.

Sen88

Star Member
Sep 16, 2019
I have had my 3 year LLB Law degree from the UK evaluated by WES as a Bachelor's degree (four years).
However, looking at the Professional Degree definition on the Canada.ca website it states:

For Express Entry, only degrees in these fields can earn equal points to a Master’s degree:

• medicine
  • veterinary medicine
  • dentistry
  • podiatry
  • optometry
  • law
  • chiropractic medicine
  • pharmacy
Can anyone confirm whether I can enter my degree as a professional degree, even though my WES says 4 years bachelor?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Is it same for CES also? Are they accepting Medical degrees as Masters?