+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A PR question dated back to 1999

essential

Jun 1, 2013
Help!! I am new to this forum and would really appreciate your help, especially Leon!

My family immigrated to Canada in 1990. My father was working oversea and therefore he was traveling back and forth to/from anada as a landed immigrant (I believe the term is now permanent resident) from 1990 to 1999. He didn't satisfy the residency requirements at the time. My mom and I received our Canadian citizenship in 1993. In 1999, at the point of entry, my father voluntarily gave up his landed immigrant status after being questioned +++ by the Canadian custom officer about his residency requirement. Apparently the officer then removed the landed immigrant paper from his passport (there is no PR card available back then - only the landed immigrant paper) and my father then entered the country as a visitor. My father did not recall signing any paper or form for the officer, nor receive any confirmation of the loss of his status (and notification of appeal mechanism) in writing afterward. Having said that, I am not sure what type of processes the former Immigration Act would require for a person to relinquish their status.

Fast forward to 2013, my father would like to apply for immigration again. We were all set to start a new application; but a question was raised - we couldn't figure out whether or not he is still a permanent resident or not. If he is, it would save us a lot of paperwork. My questions are as follows:

1. How can we verify whether or not he is still a PR?
2. Should we try to apply for a PR travel document? He is currently physically in Canada as a visitor.
3. Did he lose his PR status back in 1999 in your opinion?

Any info will be helpful!! Thanks in advance!!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/pr-status-t150739.0.html = same person? Same answer.