+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

a PR applying for TD, and a Protected person applying for a RTD, what's the difference?

YousifBreesam

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
Hello, i have a question! If you have you PR, and you applied for Travel Document. Is this document gonna be different if you were a protected person and applied for a Refugee Travel Document? Or it's the same document for both? I hope i can get an answer.

YousifBreesam

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
No i mean if i got my pr through spousal sponsorship, not through refugee status. If i apply for a TD, will i get the same one as when a protected person applies for it?

gavendano

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016
Refugees Travel Documents are like a passport issued by Canada to refugees.

I might be wrong, but travel documents for PR are meant for one entry into Canada.

YousifBreesam

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
I came to Canada as a refugee, but i didnt grt my pr through a refugee status, i got married in canada and my wife sponsored me in canada. So in that case, I can't use my national passport.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
I came to Canada as a refugee, but i didnt grt my pr through a refugee status, i got married in canada and my wife sponsored me in canada. So in that case, I can't use my national passport.
If your wife sponsored you then you CAN use your national passport to travel to other countries provided you have the correct visas'. If you do not have your PR card for travel purposes you need to apply for a PRTD (permanent resident travel document) when you arrive at your destination in order to be allowed to board a flight back to Canada.

If you successfully received your PR via the refugee stream, you are correct in that you should NOT use the passport of your country of origin. In that case you will apply for RTD (refugee travel document) which will allow you to travel to other countries and to return to Canada.

Reactions: YousifBreesam

Sunnee

Mar 2, 2018
I travel to US and returned to my home country with a visitor visa after which I applied and got Canadian visitor visa. Does my traveling to US has any implications if I come to seek asylum in Canada? Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I travel to US and returned to my home country with a visitor visa after which I applied and got Canadian visitor visa. Does my traveling to US has any implications if I come to seek asylum in Canada? Thanks
Yes if you were in danger when you went to go to the US and returned home and didn't apply for asylum your chances of getting asylum in Canada decreases becauses you had a chance to apply for asylum in a safe country and you didn't.

Last edited: