+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A New Rule!!!

kannadakanmani

Mar 12, 2012
Hello,
I checked in 2 days back to complete my PR formalities. The IO at the POE mentioned to be as 2 years out of 5 years as residency obligations. I assume she had the updated info.

Thanks,
KK

CB

Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dnyfyn said:
Example-: you stay for 2.5 years and 1 year out of the country and you come and stay for 0.5 years. Basically you have covered 3 out of 4 years. However 1 year absence is an issue. Because for a considerable period of time you have been out. They will basically question you why you have been out.

Small trips like holiday, crossing over to America, visit friends and relatives are fine.

Long absence for training, representing Canadian companies abroad or parents are ill are ok. Some people just go and stay abroad for a long time and come back to claim the citizenship; so they look into long absence.
If you are talking about Citizenship...then this is not the case.....you should be physically present in Canada for 3 years in 4 years.Important thing is 4 years count TO the Date of application Made for Grant of Citizenship.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp#CIT0002E2

PMQC

Feb 5, 2012
Well Thanks everyone for taking part in this discussion. I have checked with different consultants. It was really a confusion between residency and citizenship. My 2 friends were confused so they updated me with this infor VERY SERIOUSLY.

See you all in Canada :)
8)

Can10

Star Member
Aug 21, 2010
Dear dnyfyn,

Thanks for taking time to explain further.

Would you please advise how do you see my situation where I am planning to stay out of Canada for straight 3 years and then move to Canada permanently. Do you see any risk involved. I believe by doing this I would be able to renew my PRC for another 5 years and to apply citizenship after completing 3 straight years (i.e. last 2 years of first PRC and first year of second PRC, without any time gap).

Appreciate your usual prompt response.

Regards,
Can10

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
dnyfyn said:
Example-: you stay for 2.5 years and 1 year out of the country and you come and stay for 0.5 years. Basically you have covered 3 out of 4 years. However 1 year absence is an issue. Because for a considerable period of time you have been out. They will basically question you why you have been out.

Small trips like holiday, crossing over to America, visit friends and relatives are fine.

Long absence for training, representing Canadian companies abroad or parents are ill are ok. Some people just go and stay abroad for a long time and come back to claim the citizenship; so they look into long absence.
I dont agree with your LONG ABSENCE theory ,
2 out of 5 year means 730 out of 1825 day for maintaining PR status. You can stay 23 month and 30 day then go away for full 36 month and come back on last day and you will entitled for PR extension as of present rules.

Can10

Star Member
Aug 21, 2010
Dear Aquib,

I am hearing first time that 2-year mandatory period should be spent in Canada in the beginning of 5-year PRC period.

I cannot see such a condition on Canadian Immigration website, which simply says: To keep permanent resident status, a permanent resident must live in Canada for at least two years in a five-year period. (please refer: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/pr-card/index.asp) Also Canadian Immigration Minister Kenney has been quoted as saying: To retain their status as permanent residents, they must be physically present in Canada for two years out of five. (please refer: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2011/2011-12-09.asp). Nowhere does it is mention when 2-year period should begin.

Please advise what is your source of, what you call "as of present rules"

Regards,
Can10

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
Can10 said:
Dear Aquib,

I am hearing first time that 2-year mandatory period should be spent in Canada in the beginning of 5-year PRC period.

I cannot see such a condition on Canadian Immigration website, which simply says: To keep permanent resident status, a permanent resident must live in Canada for at least two years in a five-year period. (please refer: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/pr-card/index.asp) Also Canadian Immigration Minister Kenney has been quoted as saying: To retain their status as permanent residents, they must be physically present in Canada for two years out of five. (please refer: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2011/2011-12-09.asp). Nowhere does it is mention when 2-year period should begin.

Please advise what is your source of, what you call "as of present rules"

Regards,
Can10
I was saying same that 2 years in 5 means 2 year in 5 , regardless of short or long absence.
Please read original post to which I have replied

loggan

Apr 18, 2010
Hi ,
where did dnyfyn get the long abscence theory? its palin clear!!!

Qorax and Leon please follow this discussion and advise

dnyfyn

Aug 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Colombo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-2016
Doc's Request.
08-2016
Med's Request
08-2016
Med's Done....
08-2016
Its no more applicable. Only if you are unable to show 2 out of 5 years then you need to show good evidence why you are out. For an example education, working for canadian company abroad, etc...