+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A legal name change after receiving Citizenship Certificate

sumeet169

Jul 27, 2018
I am going slightly different.

I got my citizen certificate on the spot as it was in-person ceremony. Applied for Passport in few days since I dont have a PR card I dont want to be in a situation where I have to travel and then I am arranging for a passport to travel back in Canada.

Now my passport is in progress and I will apply for name change and once I get the name change certificate, I will apply for a fresh passport and other documents.

I hope this goes smoothly. I dont have a last name in my documents and my passport will be XXX "first name" I think this will cause issues somewhere. I dont want to wait and find out.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Now my passport is in progress and I will apply for name change and once I get the name change certificate, I will apply for a fresh passport and other documents.

I hope this goes smoothly.
I wouldn't anticipate any problems, there's certainly nothing wrong with this approach - just the inconvenience and extra fees of getting a passport twice. But completely understandable to want/need to have a passport and be ready to travel, good luck.

Reactions: sumeet169

eeprofilehelp

Star Member
Feb 6, 2017
Category........
CEC

I got my citizen certificate on the spot as it was in-person ceremony. Applied for Passport in few days since I dont have a PR card I dont want to be in a situation where I have to travel and then I am arranging for a passport to travel back in Canada.

I hope this goes smoothly. I dont have a last name in my documents and my passport will be XXX "first name" I think this will cause issues somewhere. I dont want to wait and find out.
So I recently early renewed my passport that was issued less than year to update the place of birth, while early renewing they punched two holes on my current Canadian passport. I forgot to ask, but I think that means my current Canadian passport is invalid for travel, and waiting for a new one to arrive.

So when you will renew your passport, ask if they will punch holes and mark it invalid in their system.

Reactions: sumeet169

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So I recently early renewed my passport that was issued less than year to update the place of birth, while early renewing they punched two holes on my current Canadian passport. I forgot to ask, but I think that means my current Canadian passport is invalid for travel, and waiting for a new one to arrive.
I have had this in the past and been able to ask to keep the current passport until the new one arrived (when they cancelled it, I think by cutting off corners, perhaps by stamping). But this was doing a renewal abroad and the embassy was understanding about the need to have/carry a passport with one most of the time in that country. I don't know if they'd do that in Canada since standard time for delivery of passports is much quicker (what is it, two weeks now?) and you can order urgent service if it's truly critical.

eeprofilehelp

Star Member
Feb 6, 2017
Category........
CEC
I have had this in the past and been able to ask to keep the current passport until the new one arrived (when they cancelled it, I think by cutting off corners, perhaps by stamping). But this was doing a renewal abroad and the embassy was understanding about the need to have/carry a passport with one most of the time in that country. I don't know if they'd do that in Canada since standard time for delivery of passports is much quicker (what is it, two weeks now?) and you can order urgent service if it's truly critical.
Just received my renewed passport. Less than 2 weeks.

Reactions: armoured

G Deep

Star Member
May 15, 2019

Hi,

I am in a similar situation. I got my Citizenship certificate couple of days ago. The issue with my name is that I have my full name under "Given name" and my "Last name" is blank. I want to correct this by putting my surname under the "Last name" section.

Also, I don't want to be in a position where I don't have a passport, if I need to travel outside Canada. Hence I was thinking of getting a new passport and change my name.

My question is how do I change my name? Even in my Indian passport, the last name is blank. I don't have any recent proof to show my new name. How can I get my name changed legally in Canada then?

Thanks in advance.
Gagan

jnam

Nov 11, 2018
Hi,

I am in a similar situation. I got my Citizenship certificate couple of days ago. The issue with my name is that I have my full name under "Given name" and my "Last name" is blank. I want to correct this by putting my surname under the "Last name" section.

Also, I don't want to be in a position where I don't have a passport, if I need to travel outside Canada. Hence I was thinking of getting a new passport and change my name.

My question is how do I change my name? Even in my Indian passport, the last name is blank. I don't have any recent proof to show my new name. How can I get my name changed legally in Canada then?

Thanks in advance.
Gagan
you have to do a legal name change with Vital Statistics office.

once you get name change certificate, apply for canadian passport, provide name change certificate along with your current citizenship certificate.

Once you get the canadian passport than apply to change name in citizenship certificate.

G Deep

Star Member
May 15, 2019
you have to do a legal name change with Vital Statistics office.

once you get name change certificate, apply for canadian passport, provide name change certificate along with your current citizenship certificate.

Once you get the canadian passport than apply to change name in citizenship certificate.
Thanks for the response.

How much time will it take for the legal name change from Vital Statistics office? I am concerned that if I wait for the name change before applying for my Canadian passport, then I can't travel outside Canada for that time period.

I am thinking to get the Canadian passport with my old name (so as to get the passport asap in case I need to travel). I can then get my name changed and apply for re-issue of a passport, with the correct name. Any potential issues with this approach?

jnam

Nov 11, 2018
Thanks for the response.

How much time will it take for the legal name change from Vital Statistics office? I am concerned that if I wait for the name change before applying for my Canadian passport, then I can't travel outside Canada for that time period.

I am thinking to get the Canadian passport with my old name (so as to get the passport asap in case I need to travel). I can then get my name changed and apply for re-issue of a passport, with the correct name. Any potential issues with this approach?
Mine was done within 8 weeks last December.
but you can call Vital statistics and find out the ETA. It keep changes all the time.
if you can wait couple of months than wait and get the passport with the new name.

if you are thinking to get Canadian passport with current name so that you can surrender your Indian citizenship??
you can always surrender Indian citizenship without canadian passport , just provide Canadian citizenship certificate and let them know that it take longer to get Canadian passport.

G Deep

Star Member
May 15, 2019
Mine was done within 8 weeks last December.
but you can call Vital statistics and find out the ETA. It keep changes all the time.
if you can wait couple of months than wait and get the passport with the new name.

if you are thinking to get Canadian passport with current name so that you can surrender your Indian citizenship??
you can always surrender Indian citizenship without canadian passport , just provide Canadian citizenship certificate and let them know that it take longer to get Canadian passport.
The issue is not about surrendering my Indian citizenship. I can do that later as well.

The main issue is that I can't travel outside Canada, using my Indian passport and Canadian citizenship certificate. I believe I can no longer use my Indian passport to travel now, since I am officially a Canadian citizen and India does not allow Dual Citizenship, right?

Hence, if I apply for a name change and it takes 2 months, that means I can't travel outside Canada for those 2 months. Therefore, I was thinking of getting the Canadian passport ASAP and then do the process around the name change.

jnam

Nov 11, 2018
The issue is not about surrendering my Indian citizenship. I can do that later as well.

The main issue is that I can't travel outside Canada, using my Indian passport and Canadian citizenship certificate. I believe I can no longer use my Indian passport to travel now, since I am officially a Canadian citizen and India does not allow Dual Citizenship, right?

Hence, if I apply for a name change and it takes 2 months, that means I can't travel outside Canada for those 2 months. Therefore, I was thinking of getting the Canadian passport ASAP and then do the process around the name change.
you can only travel to USA via land boarder using your Canadian citizenship certificate along with driving license or (provincial photo ID).
you won’t be able to board a flight you need passport for that.

Reactions: G Deep

Incan07

Jan 20, 2023
Hello All,

I am in the process of Canadian citizenship and LPP is pending. Due to the Given name on my Indian passport, my Canadian passport will be issued as XXX and YYY.

Please advise, if I can go with the name change option, will apply Canadian passport with new name certificate & E-certificate.

Will there be any conflict during the Indian passport surrender (BLS)?

hiren1334

Star Member
Mar 12, 2016
Hello Everyone, I am attending citizenship oath ceremony next week. I am also in same name change situation but waiting for citizenship certificate. I just want to know, if I change my name in all the Canadian documents (passport, DL, HC, citizenship certi), what will happen to my birth certificate (India) because my old name will remain there in birth certificate. Does anyone have any idea about this, specifically applicant born in India?
Please guide.