+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A high level guide to learning french from scratch

• Thread starter Deleted member 1006777
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1006777

Hi all,

Given IRCC's inconsistency with implementing the new system, and a perpetually increasing mean CRS, I anticipate more and more people will start learning french to boost their scores. I've gotten many DMs regarding this in the past, so I thought I'd post my thoughts separately in a fresh post. Part of this post is me copy pasting a bunch of responses I gave in DMs, so some contecxt may be missing.

Note: Do not send me DMs if you have any questions. Instead just post the questions here, and I will update the main post to make it more comprehensive.

A lot of people think there's some secret sauce to learning a new language. And there is, it's just a lot less interesting than you think. Here it is: Time and consistency. That's it. Put in work every single day, (no weekends, no holidays) for enough time, and you'll get good enough to pass the exam. Simple.

Let's talk about time and consistency first.
-
Time refers to the number of hours you put in. Example, 7 hours/week. CEFR estimates that you need 500-600 hours to get to a B2 level in French. If you do the math, you need to put in 2 hours/day everyday to get to B2 in 10 months.
- Consistency means you distribute these 14 hours/week as evenly as possible. 2 hours/day everyday will be significantly more useful than 7 hours/day on the weekends, even though they both equal 14 hours/week.
- There is no Nathaniel Drew or Johnny Harris BS of learning a language in 7 days. That's nonsense that's meant to sell their mediocre courses. Ignore completely.

Now where do you start? (A1-A2)
- Just to get this out of the way, you can skip Duolingo. It's probably not going to help you except in one specific way which I will talk about later in the post.
- The best way to start imo is to look for intensive classes. For me this was A1 level classes at my local Alliance Francaise (AF). They had an A1 intensive at the time that was 3 hours/day for 4 days/week. I did this while working a fulltime job and studying to change my fields. There are people on this forum who have done so in significantly worse situations than mine, so I am not interested in any excuses. The issue is that often, AF will not have intensive courses and will only have 1 hour/day for 3 days/week courses. If you have absolutely no options, these can be fine, but I would avoid them. They are too low frequency to be useful imo.
- If this is not a possibility for you, then you can look up private tutoring. This can either be local individuals who are willing to teach you, or you could look for teachers on iTalki. After my A1 intensive, I used both of these. Private tutoring for 1 hr/day 5 days a week, and an exam specific tutor for 1 hr/day, 2-3 days a week. Note that if it's expensive and you're trying to be economical, exam specific tutoring can wait until you're well into B1 or B2.
- Regardless of what method you choose, you should be following a French textbook. eg. Cosmopolite, Alter Ego, Echo etc. They're all pretty much the same, and one isn't better than the other. You can use the DELF/DALF textbooks as a supplement, but not as the primary resource.

Resources for this stage
- Start making Anki flashcards. Look up Anki on youtube or google it. There's an Android app and a desktop app that you can sync. Do not use pre-made flashcards. Make your own. Here's how. Start this when you're about halfway through your A1 book. You'll have a decent idea of what words should go into flashcards and what shouldn't. Whenever you encounter a new word, make a new flashcard, word + gender if applicable on the front. English translation and an example sentence in the back.

Here's an example:

Prompt: le chantier

Reverse side:
site
(La surveillance du chantier est assurée par deux gardes)

'works' (eg. in the works)
(Trois nouveaux projets de quotidien gratuit sont en chantier)

I would make flashcards for each level to keep things organized, but that's up to you.

- Next, and perhaps the most useful thing to me. Start listening to InnerFrench podcast as soon as possible. Listen to every episode twice. The first time listen to it as carefully as possible, rewind as much as needed. It doesn't matter if you don't understand anything. Keep at it. The second time, listen to it with the transcription (NOT the translation) that is available for free on the InnerFrench website. Once again, make Anki Flashcards for all new words, and use the sentences in the podcast as examples.

I did this at the rate of 3-4 episodes a week. But as much as possible, do the two listens of each episode on the same day. You will be shocked at how quickly you will be able to understand 50-60% of each episode.

- When you're done with A1 and starting A2, you can (optional) start doing Duolingo Stories. They're a cute little passtime, and you'll get some value out of these. The regular tree based lessons are essentially meaningless.

Where to go next? (B1-B2)
- As always, keep following whatever textbook you are using, and keep making more Anki flashcards. Do Anki every single day. No breaks. For any reason.
- At this stage, InnerFrench is probably getting a lot more comfortable. You can start listening to otehr podcasts if you like, but I would keep up with InnerFrench. If it is too easy, you can increase the speed to 1.2x (not more) to artificially increase the difficulty. While this isn't the same as listening to someone talking in native speed, it will still give your brain less time to think and force you to adapt to the higher words/minute. (PS. if you're ever low on confidence at any point, go listen to one of the earlier episodes that you listened to during A1 or A2. Feel free to be impressed with how much easier it seems than when you first started.)
- You also need to start reading. I used https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/ but you can use whatever website you want. And you know what I'm going to say. Anki.
- A very useful resource at this stage is the app 'TV5 Monde'. It's a little boring, but if you stick with the exercises there, I guarantee you will see an improvement by the time you have to give your exam. Note that I'm specifically talking about the app, NOT the website. The app is far superior.
- Now here's where a bit of luck comes in. You need to practise speaking ASAP. Download the app Tandem, and find a language partner. It is very difficult to find a compatible language partner, and honestly I got very lucky here. If you do find one, regularly practise speaking as frequently as possible throughout the week. I still keep in touch with mine, and we have become friends. Don't be a creep. If you aren't able to find one, your next best option is to find a tutor on iTalki and take conversation based classes.
- Another great resource is the Lingoda Sprint marathon that they have a couple of times a year. Essentially, you pay $1000 to take one class every day for 90 days. If you don't miss a single day, you get a 100% refund. I personally only did this when I was doing my B2 material, but you can do it anytime you want. It is a quick and technically free way to get lessons. Also an easy way to add 90 hours to that 600 hour baseline.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1006777

Exam specific prep
- At some point when you're doing your B2 material, you will need to start exam specific prep. Hopefully you've been practising speaking (and maybe writing) until now. You can now probably cater your speaking and writing to match the TEF or TCF exams. Talk to your tutor about this, or look up the formats and discuss with your language partner.
- You can also geet a 1 year subscription to PrepMyFuture. It's pretty useful when you're getting close to the exam date.

Below I will paste parts of my DMs with someone here. They're useful, but don't rush to this part. This will likely only be valuable if you're already close to a B2+ level.

DMs:
Expression Orale:
Go to tandem (it's an app you can download) or italki (app/website) and find language partners. If you are fluent in a given language you may be able to find language exchange partners. This is the most important step. Find multiple language exchange partners if possible and talk as often as possible each week. This won't be easy, since it's very difficult to find language partners. I messaged hundreds of people and finally ended up with 2 people, one of whom I still talk to twice a week.

The important part is being comfortable speaking. A B2 level of speaking is actually very low. They aren't looking for complex sentence structures, just fluidity when you speak. So being comfortable speaking in french without long gaps etc will help a lot. To give yourself an edge, you can memorize certain phrases (eg. autant que je sache, which means as far as I know) to use when the instructor asks an opinion in the speaking task 2. This could show you know how to use advanced tenses like subjonctif. However, I don't recommend this, because if you're not 100% confident about the meaning, they will know it's memorized.

Expression Ecite: This is tricky. First things first, absolutely no spelling mistakes of grammar errors. Make sure gender always agrees, know when the participe passé needs to agree (as you may know, there are several rules here, not just être/avoir). Even native speakers often struggle to get B2s in EE because written french is so different from spoken french. Again make sure you make absolutely no errors.

Next, you need to have a very varied vocabulary, and you should know many different expressions. When studying for CE, I was reading random articles on Le Monde or Le Figaro, and I'd make anki flashcards and memorize the new vocabulary/expressions with examples. I did this for a few months, so my vocabulary was vastly improved. This not only helped with CE, but because I was making flashcards with examples from these journal articles, I also understood the context of use. And I reached a point where I could use them in my own writing practice.

General practice: Regarding practice, I would practice speaking as frequently as possibel throughout the week. And for writing, I'd practice one writing sample of each section (faits divers et texte argumentatif) every day. I did this again for almost two months, so by the end I had a lot of practice. This practice doesn't seem like it's useful, because after all, those aren't going to be the topics I will get. But it turns out it is in fact very useful, since by that point I was so used to writing these types of texts that I didn't waste any time thinking about what to write during the exam.

Regarding EE topics being super philosophical etc, I get your point, but this wasn't really an issue for me. I tend to read/watch videos on many varied topics in english, so I didn't really have trouble with the abstract nature of the topics. I guess being well versed in general would be helpful, but that's not something you can practice. YOu might find out that many topics can actuallly use similar arguments. For example, one of the topicsI had practised was something like 'kids these days live with their parents until their late 20s because they are lazy', and i used a current example saying it's not laziness, but because of covid, people have lost jobs and this is a recent trend. Then in my actual exam, my prompt was 'art is beautiful but useless', and I could use a similar argument saying 'because of covid, people are confined and art, like learning how to paint, helps their mental health'. If you're smart about it, you will be able to come up with 3 arguments very easily, and this is where the daily practice comes in. If you practice regularly, your brain will learn to think this way and you will be able to come up with ideas quickly during the exam.

- Yes, I used subjonctif etc quite a bit. i had practiced many 'mots de liaison' and practised which ones used subjonctif and which ones didn't. I had learnt all relevant tenses by B1, so I made sure I had practiced them as much as possible, especially in the written section. I'm not sure what you mean by 'what would they be'. Bien que, autant que, pour que, a moins que are some examples that use subjonctif. Pendant que, tandis que etc do NOT use subjonctif. So you need to practice which phrases use subjonctif and which ones do not.

Good luck for the exam. If it's in two weeks, just spend 5-6 hours every day at minimum. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's a little late to implement new techniques unless you put in a lot of time. 5-6 hours in 2 weeks is 70 hours of study! And it's totally doable.

And that's about it. Post may be inconsistent since I didn't bother to check details, but I'll keep updating with more info etc if required.

D

Deleted member 1006777

Summary:

- For A1, take intensive courses at AF (>10 hours/week). Revise each day's material on the same day if possible. Follow French textbooks (eg. Cosmopolite or Alter Ego for all levels A1 to B2).
- Start listening to InnerFrench ASAP. Listen to each episode twice a day: First time by itself, second time with the transcription.
- Make Anki flashcards for everything. Practice every single goddamn day.
- When you reach A2-ish, start doing Duolingo stories. Ignore the regular language tree stuff.
- Start reading articles on lapresse or lemonde.
- Find a language partner on tandem or iTalki, and practice frequently.
- When you reach B2-ish, start exam specific prep.
- Some useful resources throughout: Lingoda Sprint, TV5 Monde app (not the website), PrepMyFuture
- Writing is a tricky section, so practise a lot. A couple of months of exam specific practice should do the trick, but obviously, the more the better.

Edit 1: Becasuse I know this will come up sooner or later, I'll address it now. It doesn't matter whether you take the TEF Canada or TCF Canada. Pick one, and prepare for it. You will find people saying one is easier than the other because they failed one and passed the other. But unless they took each exam 50 times, and found one to be consistently easier on average, that anecdote is useless. A sample size of 1 means nothing.

Flip a coin if you want, pick one, and prepare for it. For what its worth, I randomly picked TEF Canada, and passed it on my first try. Don't waste time trying to debate which is easier etc. If you have a B2+ level, 2-3 months of prep will allow you to handily pass either exam.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr_Vino

Dec 7, 2022
Thank you very much @mushymush for this very detailed post about how to learn french from scratch. I started learning french on duolingo randomly 2 years ago and haven't missed a day since. At the time it was just for fun until my recent plans to immigrate to Canada (about 4 months ago). I found out through other forums that French could boost your scores and planned to take the TCF Canada exam since I had a basic understanding of French. I did some random tests on TV5 Monde and some other websites to find out that my current level is B2. I wasn't entirely convinced by that and started learning french based off some materials I managed to gather through my research online. I started with the Grammaire Progressive du Français: Niveau Intermédiaire 3e édition and Complete French Grammar by Annie Heminway . I believe I still need to do some intensive studying and practice before I'm ready to sit the exam with the hope of at least getting a B2. I'll follow your guide to boost my confidence in speaking and writing especially.
My questions are; 1. Is there anything you think I need to do in addition based on my story? and
2. How long overall, did you study before you wrote your exam?

Thank you once again!

Reactions: Yodm
D

Deleted member 1006777

Thank you very much @mushymush for this very detailed post about how to learn french from scratch. I started learning french on duolingo randomly 2 years ago and haven't missed a day since. At the time it was just for fun until my recent plans to immigrate to Canada (about 4 months ago). I found out through other forums that French could boost your scores and planned to take the TCF Canada exam since I had a basic understanding of French. I did some random tests on TV5 Monde and some other websites to find out that my current level is B2. I wasn't entirely convinced by that and started learning french based off some materials I managed to gather through my research online. I started with the Grammaire Progressive du Français: Niveau Intermédiaire 3e édition and Complete French Grammar by Annie Heminway . I believe I still need to do some intensive studying and practice before I'm ready to sit the exam with the hope of at least getting a B2. I'll follow your guide to boost my confidence in speaking and writing especially.
My questions are; 1. Is there anything you think I need to do in addition based on my story? and
2. How long overall, did you study before you wrote your exam?

Thank you once again!
Hm I've heard of Grammaire Progressive, but I never used it myself. If you're already roughly B2 (although I'm not sure how reliable the TV5 Monde tests are to determine your level), it's fine to give it a shot.

Regarding what you need to do, that depends on when you plan to take the exam.
- Regarding TV5 Monde, make that part of your daily routine. Do at least a couple of exercises (for both reading and listening) every single day. The Android app has a very large selection of exercises. Don't bother with the website (unless they have significantly updated since I used it).

- Read two articles (and make flashcards) from LaPresse or LeMonde everyday. Practise those flashcards everyday. Note that flashcards and Anki is only useful if you are at least a few months away from taking the exam. So if you plan to take it around March, now is a good time to really start putting some effort into your vocabulary. Take note of the example flashcard in my post. Always write down the flashcard with sample sentences.

- Keep listening to random podcasts or youtube videos. InnerFrench is still a good resource, try to listen at 1.2x speed if it's too easy.

- If you've never had a french teacher, I'd highly recommend getting one for exam prep. On iTalki, you can specifically look for someone to help with exam prep.

- You need to practise speaking ASAP. Get a language partner on Tandem or pay for a conversation tutor on iTalki. Those are the most efficient ways to go about it. Trying to save a buck right now will cost you a lot more down the line. For example, it cost me 3 years of my life.

I started learning in January 2020, took a two month break (April and May), and felt I was ready for the exam by around November or December. Roughly 10 months, but I also half assed everything in the beginning. Only got serious near the end. Could've cut my time short by at least a few months if I had been more serious from the beginning. Of those 10 months, I did exam specific prep in the the last 2 months.

feanor13

Dec 20, 2022
Hi @mushymush ! Great posts, thank you for collecting & putting down your thoughts for the community. It couldn't have been easy to summarize everything so well, we really appreciate it!

I recently did my TCF as well -- was very happy to get a B2, which helped my wife & I get an ITA in November. Admittedly, I did start from a level of A2 because I had taken some classes at Alliance Française a long time ago, so it took me about 6-8 months of serious effort to go from A2 --> B2.

Since you have already covered many great points, I'll just focus on 3-4 things which worked best for me:
  • iTalki : As you have already said, one absolutely needs to spend time practicing speaking casual French, it's super helpful to get a community tutor to practice with. I did about 35 half hour sessions in total, with 2 tutors over a few months. This really helps build confidence and works to your advantage during the Oral Expression section of the test, since you're mostly on autopilot.
  • Creating a YouTube profile for only French videos, and watching/listening to a lot of documentaries really prepared me well for the Listening Comprehension section. Your ears need time to get used to French sounds, especially to pick out the liaisons. By watching documentaries, I got to pick the topics I enjoyed, mostly around current affairs / society & culture, which also helped me with forming arguments during the Oral/Written expression sections. Some channels I recommend are: Documentaire Société, Le Dessous Des Cartes, Food Story, Investigations et Enquêtes. Once you start seeding your YouTube with some of these channels/watches, YouTube will start recommending interesting content, which makes it easy to immerse yourself in French learning.
  • I didn't use Anki flashcards, however, every time I found a new word that seemed important, I would use the Google Translate app on my phone to look it up and "star" the word. My wife would then quiz me on a few of these words every other day, which helped me remember them better.
  • Closer to the test date, taking practice tests on TV5Monde's website helped. Like all tests, the TCF/TEF is something one can practice for to get a good sense of the format and timing for each section, which helps on the day of the exam.

Regarding the debate of TCF vs TEF, I found this post to be very helpful in making my choice. Of course, it also depends on what is exam is available near you.

In any case, for anyone reading this -- I would recommend going through the route of getting points through French by preparing for the TCF/TEF. You will face a lot of ups and downs, and it is not easy, but if you find what works for your (books/podcasts/videos/films) it will be a great journey and you'll learn a lot. Bon courage!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1006777

Some channels I recommend are: Documentaire Société, Le Dessous Des Cartes, Food Story, Investigations et Enquêtes.
I need to start brushing up on my french again. I'll check out these channels.

Simran00

Jun 3, 2021
@mushymush bro thanks a lot for putting together all this info. I'm thinking of taking online a1 intesive online course from alliance francaise for 24k something. After this do I need to take a2, b1 and b2 from them too or we can follow the above path laid out by you ie. Italki 1hr etc..Also what is the difference between a1.1 + a1.2 and a1.1 + a1.2 + a1.3 ( it is coming out to be 23000 and 40000 respectively

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1006777

@mushymush bro thanks a lot for putting together all this info. I'm thinking of taking online a1 intesive online course from alliance francaise for 24k something. After this do I need to take a2, b1 and b2 from them too or we can follow the above path laid out by you ie. Italki 1hr etc..Also what is the difference between a1.1 + a1.2 and a1.1 + a1.2 + a1.3 ( it is coming out to be 23000 and 40000 respectively
You'll probably need some kind of tutoring to efficiently go from A1 to A2, B1, B2 etc. Whether that's AF or italki or private tutoring is upto you. A1.1, A1.2 and A1.3 are all A1. It's broken into three parts to organize courses.Any intensive would cover all three. If it's split up, it;s likely not an intensive to begin with.

Reactions: feanor13