+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A few unanswered questions (American to Canada)

Sushi82

Dec 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, CAN
App. Filed.......
28-01-2020
AOR Received.
03-03-2020
Med's Request
04-03-2020
Med's Done....
19-05-2020
I had a few thoughts that I had in my head as far as questions I need answered. My husband is American and we are currently applying for Outland sponsorship. I have the following questions for a general sense of when he is here finally, rather than the outland process itself. Those include:

1) Taxes: Does my husband have to file taxes every in America even if he is not working in America or has not made a single American dollar?
1a) If he does not have to file taxes every year he is in Canada (for America), the first year he comes here, does he have to file two separate tax returns? (One for America for the time he worked there and the income he had earned prior to moved), and one for Canada (for the income he earned here after the move). Do you have to claim those amounts on the opposite tax returns? I.e. Let's say he earned 1,000 in America for 2020 's return. Would that 1,000 have to be counted on the CANADIAN return also? and vise versa?

2) Passport: Does my husband have to renew his passport to be a Canadian passport after he lands here?
2a) When it expires in 2028 or whatever, does he file for a new passport through the American side, or does he renew it on the Canadian side? (meaning will he always have an American passport or does it ever get renewed as Canadian)

3) Social Insurence Number: Does my husband need to apply for a Canadian SIN? If so, is this as straightforward as it is for Canadians to request (with the exception of additional paperwork or whatever. Meaning we could just contact Service Canada to have it issues).

4) Arrival: When he finally lands as a PR and then decides he wants to travel back home for a visit, is there anything extra he needs to carry on him while traveling to prove he is a PR (so the border people know he is a Canadian PR and aren't concerned), or is this actually a physical card they give you (like an ID)?

That is it for now, Thanks so much for everyone who helps! I really appreciate it!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I had a few thoughts that I had in my head as far as questions I need answered. My husband is American and we are currently applying for Outland sponsorship. I have the following questions for a general sense of when he is here finally, rather than the outland process itself. Those include:

1) Taxes: Does my husband have to file taxes every in America even if he is not working in America or has not made a single American dollar?
1a) If he does not have to file taxes every year he is in Canada (for America), the first year he comes here, does he have to file two separate tax returns? (One for America for the time he worked there and the income he had earned prior to moved), and one for Canada (for the income he earned here after the move). Do you have to claim those amounts on the opposite tax returns? I.e. Let's say he earned 1,000 in America for 2020 's return. Would that 1,000 have to be counted on the CANADIAN return also? and vise versa?

2) Passport: Does my husband have to renew his passport to be a Canadian passport after he lands here?
2a) When it expires in 2028 or whatever, does he file for a new passport through the American side, or does he renew it on the Canadian side? (meaning will he always have an American passport or does it ever get renewed as Canadian)

3) Social Insurence Number: Does my husband need to apply for a Canadian SIN? If so, is this as straightforward as it is for Canadians to request (with the exception of additional paperwork or whatever. Meaning we could just contact Service Canada to have it issues).

4) Arrival: When he finally lands as a PR and then decides he wants to travel back home for a visit, is there anything extra he needs to carry on him while traveling to prove he is a PR (so the border people know he is a Canadian PR and aren't concerned), or is this actually a physical card they give you (like an ID)?

That is it for now, Thanks so much for everyone who helps! I really appreciate it!
1) One of the privileges of being an American citizen is that your husband is required to file US taxes for life regardless of where he is living. Once he is living in Canada, he will file both Canadian and U.S. tax returns. Yes - they are separate returns. He will declare his income in both returns fully - yes, his full income will be counted in both returns. However he won't be double taxed and will get credit in his US tax return for whatever taxes he has already paid to Canada. My husband files his Canadian return first and then typically owes nothing once he files his US tax return.
2) Your husband needs to live in Canada for several years before he will qualify for Canadian citizenship and a Canadian passport.
3) Yes, he needs to apply. It's very straight forward and yes, he would go to a Service Canada office.
4) He needs to carry his PR card.

Sushi82

Dec 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, CAN
App. Filed.......
28-01-2020
AOR Received.
03-03-2020
Med's Request
04-03-2020
Med's Done....
19-05-2020
1) One of the privileges of being an American citizen is that your husband is required to file US taxes for life regardless of where he is living. Once he is living in Canada, he will file both Canadian and U.S. tax returns. Yes - they are separate returns. He will declare his income in both returns fully - yes, his full income will be counted in both returns. However he won't be double taxed and will get credit in his US tax return for whatever taxes he has already paid to Canada. My husband files his Canadian return first and then typically owes nothing once he files his US tax return.
2) Your husband needs to live in Canada for several years before he will qualify for Canadian citizenship and a Canadian passport.
3) Yes, he needs to apply. It's very straight forward and yes, he would go to a Service Canada office.
4) He needs to carry his PR card.

Thank you so much! Appreciate the help!