Jul 28, 2015
AOR Received.
10-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
PR
LANDED..........
07-11-2017
I received my COPR a few months ago.
I'm planning on moving to Canada in October. I have a girlfriend and we've been together for almost 4 years but we don't live together so we couldn't apply for PR together under Common Law.

We are planning for her to go to Canada as a student to learn English in January.

My questions are:
  • Once I apply for inland sponsorship after 6 months of my landing, will she be able to stay in Canada legally during the sponsorship process even if her student permit expires in between?
  • During the sponsorship process will she be able to work?
  • During the sponsorship process will she be able to leave Canada for a few vacation days?
Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - she will be able to remain in Canada legally provided you include an open work permit application with the sponsorship application. The OWP should be approved 3-4 months after the application package is received by CIC. Trips outside of Canada are not recommended - especially for those from non-visa exempt countries. Re-entry is never guaranteed.

To add - I would recommend she not apply for a study permit to study English in Canada. Study permits for the purposes of taking an English class have a high rate of refusal since CIC generally views this as something people do because they are trying to get to Canada and have plans on remaining in Canada long term - rather than being genuine students. Too many people have done this in the past and CIC has caught on to this trick. She should apply for a diploma or degree program instead. What she plans to take in Canada must make sense in light of her previous education and any work experience. For example, if she has complete a bachelor in the business field in her home country - then she should plan to take something business related in Canada at either the post graduate diploma or masters level.

nmuntz

Jul 28, 2015
AOR Received.
10-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
PR
LANDED..........
07-11-2017
Yes - she will be able to remain in Canada legally provided you include an open work permit application with the sponsorship application. The OWP should be approved 3-4 months after the application package is received by CIC. Trips outside of Canada are not recommended - especially for those from non-visa exempt countries. Re-entry is never guaranteed.

To add - I would recommend she not apply for a study permit to study English in Canada. Study permits for the purposes of taking an English class have a high rate of refusal since CIC generally views this as something people do because they are trying to get to Canada and have plans on remaining in Canada long term - rather than being genuine students. Too many people have done this in the past and CIC has caught on to this trick. She should apply for a diploma or degree program instead. What she plans to take in Canada must make sense in light of her previous education and any work experience. For example, if she has complete a bachelor in the business field in her home country - then she should plan to take something business related in Canada at either the post graduate diploma or masters level.
Thank you very much for your feedback. I have also heard of very high refusals from CIC for people studying English.
I understand she can study for up to 6 months without a study permit so we might be able to do that and by then I should be able to sponsor her.
Her English is very basic so I doubt she would be able to get into a degree program (and it's also extremely expensive!!).

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You can only sponsor her as your common-law partner after you have lived together for 12 continuous months. If you get married, you can apply to sponsor her right away.